The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2020, 01:52 AM   #1
Accelo

Purchase Parts as needed or ?

I used to pick up a bunch of parts that I knew I was going to require on my build, all at the same time. I gave up on that method when once in a while I had issues with the part and I had gone beyond the return/warranty period.

So now I tend to purchase as I need it. Requires a bit more planning but fewer headaches.

Now to my point. I have ordered from a variety of vendors and I have just changed my purchases to only vendor that list up front what is in stock and what isn't. Summit does this perfectly. My latest order, from CJ pony parts, did no such thing. Shipping was fast but worthless when only half the parts arrived. Tail light lenses, gaskets and bulbs but no housings or attaching screws. No invoice in the box either and no estimate when the other missing parts will arrive. They are off the list and I may send what I have back if the led time is more than a week or so.

Any favorite vendors out there? The return policy also matters.
Accelo
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:36 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Purchase Parts as needed or ?

I use Summit as my default. I keep a cart going til I have $100+ before checking out so i get free shipping. I love the way the site has detailed filtering, super fast shipping, and hassle free returns. My next go-to’s are GMC Pauls and Rockauto. Between those three I’m typically covered.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
j_cst_10

I like Summit and use ebay a lot for parts that I cannot find or that are low dollar. amount (less than $50) There a are a lot of ebay stores that sell new parts like summit. You have to do some price comparisons but found ebay a good source for small things needed to complete a project. Bigger ticket items go to Summit.

I do use rockauto quite a bit but you are playing with fire if something goes wrong. Zero customer service, literally. You won't be able to talk to anyone or send an email. Had an issue with a very expensive radiator. Couldn't get it resolved with the manufacturer SPECTRA - don't use this brand FYI or Rock Auto. Had to have my brand new radiator repaired to keep my vehicle in service.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
ChevyRacefan

If lead time is an issue, as in you need to know if everything you want and plan on ordering is in stock, I make a phone call to the vendor. and ask if they have it all. As some parts might be back ordered or a drop shipped part.
I've had good luck this way.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
custom10nut

Everybody has their favorites.
I’m not going to name names, but I will tell y’all what makes me decide on a Vendor/Company. Customer Service. What happens when a part is poor quality, or just doesn’t fit (in the world of mass produced Chinese made products, it happens),and how the Customer Service Department handles the Situation, goes a LONG way in determining if I use them again. If at all possible, I like to buy “at the Counter”, or at the Shows, so that I can inspect the items before I purchase them.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
If lead time is an issue, as in you need to know if everything you want and plan on ordering is in stock, I make a phone call to the vendor. and ask if they have it all. As some parts might be back ordered or a drop shipped part.
I've had good luck this way.
I typically go all in on the Internet, because I hate waiting on the phone. However, I think you suggestion is likely my best bet. I can remember, "Call and confirm!"

So I called today (Christmas Eve) and got a "we can call you back" message. Press 1. So I did. Bot said, I would be called back in 12 min. In 2 min I received the call back. Pressed 1 to talk with a representative. And "no answer", ended up hanging up as it was obvious they were not open. Received three more call from them (CJPonyParts) before the messaging quite.
What a messy way to run a business!

However, I did find where they listed the part in stock or not. And the other parts are due in a week or so, according to the chat/bot. I can live with that.
Thanks

Last edited by Accelo; 12-24-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Being in Canada shipping is an issue for me when ordering parts so always use vendors htat will ship via the Post Office cause UPS, Fed Ex et al have these rip-off broker fees which can get expensive and the Post Office charges a flat 10.00. I've used Rock Auto and have never had a problem with bad parts. Lately been using Summit as their website is super detailed and tells you whether or not the parts are in stock. Another bonus for us Canucks with Summit is last year they started a Free Shipping with a 299.00 US dollar purchase and I put them to the test recently when I ordered a set of cast iron heads for my engine build and yep free shipping and its by Fed Ex and quick. For any Canadian reading this there are fees but its just GST/PST or I guess where applicable HST plus a small broker fee. Recent order was 528.00 US and fees were were 51.00US and parts here within a week. For me Summit is the best deal. Also being old and Old School I always like to call when ordering but am getting tired of the 15 min waits to talk to a person so with the previous mentioned order I ordered on line and had no issues doing that and yes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I typically go all in on the Internet, because I hate waiting on the phone. However, I think you suggestion is likely my best bet. I can remember, "Call and confirm!"

So I called today (Christmas Eve) and got a "we can call you back" message. Press 1. So I did. Bot said, I would be called back in 12 min. In 2 min I received the call back. Pressed 1 to talk with a representative. And "no answer", ended up hanging up as it was obvious they were not open. Received three more call from them (CJPonyParts) before the messaging quite.
What a messy way to run a business!

However, I did find where they listed the part in stock or not. And the other parts are due in a week or so, according to the chat/bot. I can live with that.
Thanks
Not fer nothing, but it's Christmas eve, and a Friday Christmas eve.
Not going to bat for the vendor, but Friday is most likely normal biz hours, If it was not Christmas eve, so the phone system Rolled as if it was open, Just no one was there to fill the next step. A sales rep calling you.
Never worked/bought from them, so. Take my comment for what it's worth.
Like most companies that 99% of product sales are shipped, They gave everyone Friday off. As nothing ordered Friday is making it anywhere till Monday.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
mr48chev

If I am getting a batch of small parts that will fit in a USPS priority mail box I go with Classic parts quite a bit.

I'll have to agree that I really like Summit's service.

I do buy some from Rock auto but use their online catalog to find part numbers from brand names a lot. That especially on chassis parts for my 71 3/4 ton an the 77 1 ton. I have found that with the Moog or other name brand part number you can search Ebay and often find the part being sold by someone who bought out a warehouse at a real friendly price. I've also used that method to find parts listed on Amazon.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I usually purchase as needed. I am installing new brake parts on my coil spring Dana 60 3.54 before I install it in my '68, so I ordered the parts from Rock Auto. Good prices, reasonable shipping cost, and arrived within a week. The brake shoes were correct, the hardware/spring kit was correct but the wheel cylinders were completely wrong. Now I have to figure out what part numbers I really need....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
lux

I called Orange truck parts, the person on the phone said they would take my order and payment but couldn't tell me if the parts were in stock till after the order was placed,,,, I said no thanks.

I used CJ Pony parts for my seats. One had a hole in it, 6 months later the problem was finally fixed.

I don't feel too bad for naming these companies. I think folks should know and it will hopefully help the companies improve.

Summit is my go to. I'm like 69bowtie, I keep a order going till I reach $100 for free shipping. They have a store in Dallas and I'm in Austin so shipping is 1 or 2 days. The only problem I had with Summit is when I went to the physical store, My God, a huge warehouse of stuff I think I need. I should have left my wallet at home and only brought the money for what I really needed.
A very dangerous store to walk into with a pocket full of money.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
May70

I order as I go or maybe just a step or two ahead and even doing that sometimes I forget what I have......

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote