The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Kootenay64

Will stock hub caps work?

Finally got my hands on the new wheel vintiques smoothies and low profile tires I ordered!

Does anyone happen to know if the old dog dish style hub caps (or repops) will fit with wheel vintiques 16" smoothie wheel? Looking for the steelie wheel with hub cap look. I know wheel vintiques sells some caps that will work but really hoping for the '64 stock look and maybe trim rings.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Will stock hub caps work?

No sir. The smoothie style wheels do not except 'snap on' caps as they come. There are people that offer 'clip kits' that require locating & drilling holes in the wheels to mount clips that can retain the caps so it can be done. DetroitSteel Wheels even offers it as a service on their wheels (which are similar but different).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
forestb

From what I can tell from your pick, it looks like you have the little nubs on the inside of that wring, that are meant more for the moon style caps. From what I have seen others do you might be able to attach some clips that will allow you to install the dog dish type. Vary nice truck by the way

If it seams like I just repeated the last post. It is because Scoti types faster than I do
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Kootenay64

Thanks SCOTI,
I'll sniff around for some clips. Wonder about the clips though...seems that if you don't get them drilled and fastened in just the right spot it could cause your wheel to be out of balance and could wobble, no?
Old 03-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
Kootenay64

forestb - thanks for the comment on the truck, she's no show truck for sure, looks good from far...
Great daily driver though, chomping at it to get out and drive it but still a bit snowy here.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay64 View Post
Thanks SCOTI,
I'll sniff around for some clips. Wonder about the clips though...seems that if you don't get them drilled and fastened in just the right spot it could cause your wheel to be out of balance and could wobble, no?
Caps not being 'true' for sure.... Wheel? I suppose one could balance the wheel tire w/the clips installed to compensate.

I used the truck 'ralley wheel' clips before in an attempt to mount Vette style center caps (or caps similar to what your Smoothies prob require). The clips used the GM/OE factory drilled holes in the hubs for locating/placement. Once I mounted a cap though it was not 'on center' & would wobble. I had to spin the assembly & use a rubber mallet to gently center the cap for truing the cap to the wheel. Removed them & re-sold the clips. Not worth the effort that was required in my opinion.

Others possibly aren't bothered by wobbling caps..... I am.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
Duncan K

LS Fabrication sells universal cap clips. I believe they are in Calgary so easy shipping

https://ls-fab.com/parts-accessories...sal-cap-clips/
Old 03-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
TopFuel1966

Clips for the inside of the wheel center won't work for the '64 10.25" cap. You need a wheel with the outside nubs like the Wheel Vintique 62 series.

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel1966 View Post
Clips for the inside of the wheel center won't work for the '64 10.25" cap. You need a wheel with the outside nubs like the Wheel Vintique 62 series.

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html
Yes.... But they aren't offered in a 16" diameter which apparently is what he wanted. 15" or 17" diameters are the only choices for the WV 62 Series. The only 16" 62 Series offered from WV is the 8-lug version.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #10
Kootenay64

Been looking at Wheelsmith caps, the '49 chev one looks alright;

http://thewheelsmith.net/wheel-acces...ie-accessories

They are marketed for smoothie wheels but have to find out if they'll fit 16" wheel vintiques.
FYI - steer clear of 16" wheels as there doesn't seem to be much available in terms of tires, caps, etc. I'm sure alot of you likely know that anyway. My own mistake, should have done more research and possible just went with 15" as there seems to be much more available.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes.... But they aren't offered in a 16" diameter which apparently is what he wanted. 15" or 17" diameters are the only choices for the WV 62 Series. The only 16" 62 Series offered from WV is the 8-lug version.
Yes, you are correct. That's why I qualified my comment with the buzz word "like" or similar to the WV 62 series. He needs a wheel with that same nub location and nub size if he wants to use the stock '64 cap regardless of wheel diameter or manufacturer.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel1966 View Post
Yes, you are correct. That's why I qualified my comment with the buzz word "like" or similar to the WV 62 series. He needs a wheel with that same nub location and nub size if he wants to use the stock '64 cap regardless of wheel diameter or manufacturer.
Gotcha. One needs a wheel w/the 'nubs' in the correct position or that allow clips to be added in the correct location.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG