The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
grubsster

Exclamation Air in power steering.

I finally had the opportunity to install power steering to my '66 which went well using. Captain Fabs bracket. However, I can not get the air out of the system. We did the cold bleed without engine running while still on the lift no wheels on the ground. After that we started the truck still off the ground and tried a few lock to lock turns and the pump continued to make noise so we shut off the truck. Foaming fluid shot out of the cap. Let it sit overnighpart tried again this morning to no avail. Decided maybe the rebuilt pump I had installed could be bad so bought another with the same results. We are keeping fluid in the pump at all times. The only used part is the gearbox, so long story long, can the gearbox be bad and cause air buildup in the system?
grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Air in power steering.

It worked for this guy - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576828
Here is a bunch of links to threads on the subject - https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
Joemomma1

I had a similar issue with my LS swap. Air was being sucked in somewhere but couldn't isolate it. I could feel and see the air being expelled from the reservoir but once I got to certain point in turning from lock to lock, air got sucked in. Made a gurgling sound and lost any resistance I felt. Had to replace the gearbox and hoses to eliminate it.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #4
grubsster

Thanks, that was what I was wondering. If anyone else had experienced this issue.

I've changed pumps that were bad and gearboxes that were worn out or leaking but, never had an issue bleeding nor, had I ever heard of anyone else. Either way, I'm changing the box Thursday and will post the results in the unlikely event someone else runs into this.
grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote