The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
BowTieMan

Question Shifter Question

Could I put a 4 speed manual in a 67-79 chevy? And could I just use any shifter? Like a hurst. Or does it have to be a certain shape?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

measure the height of your bench seat in the cab and make sure whatever you buy has the hieght clearance of the seat and dont throw back so it hits the dashboard most hursts will work

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Grim Reaper

You ever hear Hurst's old tag line?

Hurst
Shift as hard as you want
Just don't break your arm.

They have thousands of applications. I'm sure you can find one.
If your going to run a 465 just look for a shifter for any shevy truck 73-87 and it should have the right bend. That's a stock aplication.

If your going to Run something like a Muncie M20 or M21 you should be able to find one as well. Try looking for Chevelles with bench seat applications (yep they exist). Those are tall shifters that may work if they don't have a appliction listed for a truck with that combo.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
PHOENIX

For street performance you dont want a sm465 trans.
You want an older Muncie, like an M-20, m-21, or m-22 (m-22 is the strongest). I would get a Richmond T-10 over a Muncie because they are newer and you can buy it brand new.

Tom is the only one on this board I know that did it.
He lives in Mesa. I didnt ride in his truck when I met him cause it wasnt running. I thought a lot about going to a m22, but working on something else right now. Won a free trans and the company is trying to d*ck us around. We may be going to court over it. If I can win this then Ill be getting a t-56 6-speed.

The problem with going to a muncie or T-10 in these trucks is the shifter hitting the seat. I believe Tom doesnt have this problem because he has bucket seats instead of a bench seat.

6-speed w/ shifter in original 4-speed location go here:
http://www.standardtransmission.com/BW_T-56.html

For Richmond T-10 (similar to Muncie 4-speeds) go here:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...40&prmenbr=361

Last edited by PHOENIX; 12-23-2003 at 02:14 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote