The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Richard2112

Steering Gear Options

Having towed my 70 C30 on a dolly with the front wheels strapped on to it, I now find that my truck wanders and there's a lot of free play in the steering wheel.

I wasn't ready for this and am looking for a cheap replacement for my steering gear so I can focus on other matters. There's a chance I'll probably just visit a salvage yard and shop for a used gear (for now) but It's unlikely that I'll find one of the manual steering variety (which I like)

My question is two part...Can I use a power steering gear as a manual And what years/models might I find one that'll fit?

Presently, my steering gear is mounted in the stock position (outside the frame)
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Steering Gear Options

You don't want to use a power steering gear in a manual application. A power steering gear that doesn't have the "power" part is much harder to turn than a manual steering gear.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Willys_MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Having towed my 70 C30 on a dolly with the front wheels strapped on to it, I now find that my truck wanders and there's a lot of free play in the steering wheel.

I wasn't ready for this and am looking for a cheap replacement for my steering gear so I can focus on other matters. There's a chance I'll probably just visit a salvage yard and shop for a used gear (for now) but It's unlikely that I'll find one of the manual steering variety (which I like)

My question is two part...Can I use a power steering gear as a manual And what years/models might I find one that'll fit?

Presently, my steering gear is mounted in the stock position (outside the frame)
If you're mechanically inclined, they're easy to rebuild. I rebuilt my power steering gear myself. I might have my old manual steering box in the garage, but I also may have bolted it back onto the donor frame I used for my PS swap. I can look for it if you're interested, but it's in need of a rebuild.

Rebuilding my PS box took about 2 days, but I wasn't JUST doing that, it took me maybe a couple hours each day. I would imagine a manual box is even easier
Old 07-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
You don't want to use a power steering gear in a manual application. A power steering gear that doesn't have the "power" part is much harder to turn than a manual steering gear.
Thank you. I had wondered about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
If you're mechanically inclined, they're easy to rebuild. I rebuilt my power steering gear myself. I might have my old manual steering box in the garage, but I also may have bolted it back onto the donor frame I used for my PS swap. I can look for it if you're interested, but it's in need of a rebuild.

Rebuilding my PS box took about 2 days, but I wasn't JUST doing that, it took me maybe a couple hours each day. I would imagine a manual box is even easier
Been wondering about the rebuild process. Seems most kits are seals and a bushing. I haven't any real idea if that would do the trick in my case. I'm sure I can do it but I do not not know what all might be worn and need to be brought back into spec.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Bigdav160

There's very little to a manual box. Mine broke a bearing on the way to work (GMC dealer 1993) and they had the bearing in stock. lol
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
dmjlambert

Is your rag joint in good condition? That could be a reason for the free play.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
Richard2112

Well it been a little while now but I've finally saved enough nickels to get a good steering gear. For some reason I simply could not justify taking a chance on an off the shelf gear from one of the McAuto parts distributers.

I'll have a Redhead arriving this week. Manual steering gear. I've only recently crawled under there to confirm my suspicions that the original gear left much to be desired and yes, it was indeed so.

Now once again, it's time to dust off the jack stands, lube up the rusty ratchet and skin some perfectly good knuckles.

If the Redhead is a good match I'm going to take some advice from this thread and change out my rag joint while I'm in that vicinity. The problem seems to be finding one worth installing. I've read reviews on some that were not entirely favorable such as some that have splines only around a third of the coupler.

Rebuilding the steering coupler may be an option but I'll want to count the splines on the new gear and measure the shaft before taking the coupler apart. Finding the kit for a rebuild has been a new experience and I haven't really any idea who might make one worth using. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
72SB

Contact Redhead, or whoever you bought it from, about what coupler (spline count) of not stock...but assuming its a stock box you could just buy one at auto part store. Absolutely do a new rag joint

My 72 I got a box (stock ratio-power) from CPP and the rag joint. For my 67 I have a LARS rag joint I got from Rockauto. Its the impregnated rubber with metal strands in it vs the older layered ones.

Just confirm spline count on new box and what your shaft is
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote