The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
colyank

Electronic Fuel Pump

Recently I have gone through two mechanical fuel pumps on my 1972 Chevy c10 pickup where all of the sudden they just quit pumping gas with little to no miles or usage out of them. My friend suggested I go to an electronic fuel pump, either as a helper for the mechanical or to bypass it altogether. In doing research, it seems only issue with keeping the mechanical is if the diaphragm fails and it floods the crankcase. It seems like many people just block off the mechanical and go with electronic pump. Does anyone have suggestions on either of those, and also suggestions on a pump. I would be looking for something that will last and no leave me on the side of the road again. Thanks
colyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
Pitpig

Re: Electronic Fuel Pump

Doesn’t help, but I’ve had the same fuel pump on a big block since 1993. Maybe buy a quality pump from a known US manufacturer. Electric fuel pumps are loud and also fail, best of all worlds wound be an in tank punp with a return line.
Pitpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
body bolt

Check that your line from the tank to the pump is clear. Maybe your sock in the tank is blocked? That would be hard on a fuel pump.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
BigBird05

If you are going to go with an electric fuel pump wire it thru a relay that only has continuity when you have oil pressure.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
gmc684x4

I have had great luck with Carter fuel pumps .

Do you have lots of ethenol in your fuel that can be hard on your fuel system from my understanding
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

A properly set up electric fuel pump is going to be more expensive. I have one on my Burban a Mallory 140 with a regulator and an electronic pump controller from Revolution Electronics. It is so quite you have to turn he radio and heater blower off to hear it if it is running. When it is cold out I actually hear the regulator cycling over the sound of the pump running.
There are cheaper ways to but you sacrifice reliability and NVH.

Body bolt makes a good call about the suction side of the pump. I would also check to see if the line has a crack or other hole allowing the pump to suck air.
The PO of my Burban did the original switch to electric pump and when he was done he found the small hose by the transmission was leaking. With the factory pump the bad hose caused the pump to suck enough air to keep the truck from running. With the electric pump the same hose was pressurized and it immediately began spraying fuel.

https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-El.../dp/B00BNZ05JM
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote