The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

C20 to C10 aftermarket frontend

Helping my boy switch his 1968 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton. I have been looking for a parts truck square body with no luck. Wondering if anyone has used this set up or suggests any other aftermarket frontend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31329494274...EaAs_hEALw_wcB
Old 07-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: C20 to C10 aftermarket frontend

What are your goals? Obviously you want to switch to 5 or 6 lug with disc brakes. Are you lowering the truck? The arms you linked are not for a C10 and I doubt they will work. I used POL tubular upper arms to lower my 68 C20 and add disc brakes. Factory stock control arms are all the same but they are equipped with different shafts & ball joints depending on what year and if they are 1/2 or 3/4 ton. You will also need tie rod adapters if you plan on using you center link. For that reason I highly suggest you purchasing a complete disc brake conversion that can be used with factory or tubular arms.

A disc brake conversion kit like this makes it fairly easy and you don't have to worry about getting all the hardware. Several companies offer the kits.

https://www.performanceonline.com/Po...10-5-or-6-Lug/

There are a few options when it comes to tubular arms. Most are designed to correct camber issues when lowering the truck. Some of the more expensive arms move the lower arm forward to center the wheel, provide additional caster angle and are also available with a narrowed track width. These are usually used when going real low with wide wheels.

What is your budget and what do you want to accomplish? If you are not lowering the kit you may not want to use tubular arms.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

About the only parts you will re-use in the conversion will be your stock upper and lower a-arms. Don't worry about tubular stuff unless you get a coilover conversion kit that comes with them.

Now that square body trucks are so popular, ($$$) the link above doesn't look so bad. New ball joints, tie rod ends, brake rotors, wheel bearings, etc. really add up fast, even with saving money on junkyard parts. If you build out a kit yourself using the POL parts as a guide, on rockauto and summit, you could probably save a couple hundred dollars.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
gmc684x4

Did you read through the 67 72 swap thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456889
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote