The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2003, 02:02 AM   #1
BowTieMan

Drop Questions

I want to get a 75-80 chevy pickup. I plan on lowering it a little. I was thinking of a 4/5 in drop. A djm 3 in. drop spindle, a 1 in. coil, and a djm flip kit and new factory leaf springs. I also plan on doing all new polurethan bushings and new drop shocks. I was thinking of taking off the sway bar too. Do any of you still have your sway bars with a drop? And I am going to run full length headers. Not sure on what brand. Will they bottom out at all? I was thing of running 255/55/17's. Or some 255/70/16s. I dont want a really low truck. This will be my daily driven and only truck. And I want to drag race at the track on the weekends.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:06 AM   #2
TIMSPEED

Copy Cat
I"m running a 75 C10 with DJM 3/5 drop. I'm going to get a new 1" Drop Spring to make the front a TAD lower. I'm running cheapy hedmann longtube headers and have NO scraping problems at all. I have NO worries about hitting control arms or anything right now, and I won't with another inch lower in the front. I'm also running 255/55 17's, which are 28" tall. It's not a SLAMMED look, but it's definately a nice stance.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:25 AM   #3
BowTieMan

Thanks to tell you the truth I saw your truck and wanted that look. It was an insperation. This picture made me want it the most.
Attached Images

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Old 12-24-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by BowTieMan
Thanks to tell you the truth I saw your truck and wanted that look. It was an insperation. This picture made me want it the most.
Glad I could be of service! Thanks for the compliments! In that picture, since you can see the passenger side, that's basically a 4/5 drop, because that side's front spring is messed up.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:39 AM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Let me give you some advice to maybe save you some work and money. I've been through a lot of different levels with mine and too many parts to talk about. I was told to go 4/6 when I started, but I didn't listen.

So, go 4/6 now and get it over with. You will never be satisfied with it unless you do. You'll always want it a tad lower. IMO, a 4/6 drop makes a real good daily driver, especially with long tube headers. But they will hit though.

I recommend these parts, because I have them.

I recommend Western Chassis drop parts.

2.5" spindles
1.5" coils
5" flip kit
Shackles in the lower hole
C-notch
Shock extenders

For drop shocks, I recommend Doetsch Tech's.

As a side note, if you replace the leaf springs with new ones, expect it to go up over what it is now.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:44 AM   #6
BowTieMan

Well maybe I'll got 4/6. So all I would have to do is put a bolt in a differnt hole to make it an inch lower? Could you guys post some picture of some trucks like this? I dont want a slamed truck. I want a fast truck. But I still want it to look cool.

Last edited by BowTieMan; 12-24-2003 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:49 AM   #7
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Well maybe I'll got 4/6. So all I would have to do is put a bolt in a differnt hole to make it an inch lower? Could you guys post some picture of some trucks like this?
My truck is basically a 4/6 because of sagging springs. If I were to get new leaf springs in the back, then I would need the shackles, because it would go up an inch with the new springs. 4/6 is good
Old 12-24-2003, 02:53 AM   #8
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

mine truck

http://www.ocbaud.com/rearangle.JPG
http://www.ocbaud.com/tint3.JPG
http://www.ocbaud.com/atv2.JPG
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:15 AM   #9
BowTieMan

What size tires are you running ocbaud? And I probaly wont change the rear springs. Just new bushings.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:16 AM   #10
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
What size tires are you running ocbaud? And I probaly wont change the rear springs. Just new bushings.
275/60/15's all around
Old 12-24-2003, 04:42 AM   #11
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by ocbaud
275/60/15's all around
Which is the same overall size as my 255/55 17's...I based my setup off Eric's.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #12
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED

Which is the same overall size as my 255/55 17's...I based my setup off Eric's.
of course you would be able to handle this better than me

i think i only had about 1 1/2" of clearance between frame and axle in that picture
Old 01-02-2004, 03:40 AM   #13
1972C10
Account Suspended

I have a lowered 72 basically a 3-5 i have clearencce problems with my headers now every now and then it scrapes what imgonna do is make a skid plate for them Out of plate steel that way if it does scrap it will hit he plate steel and dissapate the force Pretty easy to make if you have acess to a torch or plasma cutter .. I suppose you coudl get by with a grinder or a saw with a cut offf wheel . just take some 4" flatbar 11 gaue wich is 1/8 thick and have them go up the front of the header 3 inches and back towards the collector . Tack weld it in place or maybe use a hose clamp Mine are going to be welded.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #14
silverado_ss03

ocbaud i just love the way your truck looks. im usually into the big rims and i was thinking about getting 17's on my 84 but damn i just love the look of the 15's. You got a nice truck. dropped trucks rule!
silverado_ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote