The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

2000 Silverado 6-lug locker --> '72 C10

Wondering if anyone on this board has swapped the differential out of a really new GM truck into an older one. I've recently acquired a '72 C10 with a 350/TH350, and its got an open rear end (which will absolutely not work for me!). My friend has a '2000 Silverado Z71 which he just inherited but he doesn't like the way it rides so he is dropping the current leaf & six lug setup and buying a same-year 8-lug rear suspension out of a 1-ton. I have the option of getting this rear end for free, and since it has a locker in it I was thinking that it would be cheaper to just put that differential (not the suspension) into my '72 rather than buying a positraction or locking differential kit for the rear end that is currently in my truck.

Cliffs:
Getting 2000 Z71 rearend W/electronic locker for free
Wanna put in my '72 C10 that has open rear
How durable is the 2000 6-lug rear end?
How hard to drop in my '72?
How hard to interface electronic locker?
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

The difficuly of stripping old the brackets of the new rear end, welding on new brackets would be much more than just installin the locker in the old rear end.

Why the heel does he think the 1 ton suspension is goin to ride better than a 1/2 ton?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:32 AM   #3
1969 GMC

i think it would be a challenge to interface the elctronic locker, but I am not sure...but why does your buddy want to void the warranty of his truck simply because he doesnt like the ride quality?
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:50 AM   #4
botboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969 GMC
i think it would be a challenge to interface the elctronic locker, but I am not sure...but why does your buddy want to void the warranty of his truck simply because he doesnt like the ride quality?
Short answer: because he's an idiot.

Long answer: the truck no longer has a warranty, his father bought it used and passed away. He doesn't think that the backend of his truck is stiff enough and wants to be able to haul more and heavier. Plus I think that 1-ton for that year would have bigger brakes which is important to him he speeds a lot.

As for the electronics...I have nothing to worry about. I've been soldering together circuits since I was four, my latest projects being cleaning up the wiring in my '72 and hacking an engine harness from a '93 Seville for a northstar I'm rebuilding (that might just eventually make it into aforementioned '72 along with a 5-speed)
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #5
1972C10
Account Suspended

I put a 95 model rachet locker Into a 68 SWB pretty simple I used An Old Panhard Bar And had to make my own bracket For it

If you can get ahold of a 3/4 ton panhard bar wich is longer you could do like i did or you could take the bracket off the rearend and the one off the frame as the angle that it is pointed toward the rearend is differnt than the pumpkin mounted panhard bar on a half ton
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
67dragtruck

rear swap

Have you compared the width of the 2 rearends to see if it will put the tires and wheels where you want them under the fenders? As long as the width works it really isn't very difficult to cut off the old brackets and weld on new ones. The electric locker sounds like it would be worth the effort. Just make sure that you get your pinion angle set before welding on the new brackets.

Tom
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
68_2_H8

new 6-lug conversion

If someone figures it out, let me know too please, I'm wanting to install the new 6-lug pattern on my '68 Suburban, regardless of the rear axle width, I plan to narrow it for some custom wheels.

What about the pattern in the front??? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Shulman - Tucn20s@aol.com
www.wheelstop.comwww.wheelstop.com
68_2_H8 is offline   Reply With Quote