The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
begNOpardon

Engine Starter Engaging When Key Turns to ACC or ON!!

I have a 71 C10, HEI, Powermaster Performance starter. I’m having some electrical issues. My engine is now starting anytime I turn the key either to ON or ACC. if I turn it all the way to START it just grinds badly. Starter is aligned well w/proper gapping and engages/disengages properly. The only way I can start and drive is to pull the brown ACC wire from the back of the ignition switch.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel I’m pull rope from both ends rather than figuring out the simplest ways to find the root cause. Seems like possibly a grounding issue that’s causing a loop but not sure how to find it. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lemme know if you need more specs or images.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by begNOpardon; 09-04-2021 at 05:42 PM.
begNOpardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Engine Starter Engaging When Key Turns to ACC or ON!!

Make sure you only have the purple wire going to the start post on the starter, and don't have other wires such as yellow going to that same post. My 2 cents.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Make sure you only have the purple wire going to the start post on the starter, and don't have other wires such as yellow going to that same post. My 2 cents.
Yes, double checked all wiring to starter. Starter is solid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Pictures would help us help you.

Is the harness pinched between Transmission and engine?
How old is the Ignition switch?

,.....////
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I re-read your first post. So with the engine not running, when you turn the key one click to the right the starter starts turning the engine over? You mentioned when you turn the key all the way to start it grinds, does that mean there is a difference between the engine turning over with key in on position, and you get additional sound of grinding adding to that with the key in start position?

I suggest take the purple wire off the starter and connect it to a test light or voltmeter. Connect the negative lead of the voltmeter or test light to ground. See what the test light does in various key positions. Trace the purple wire back from the starter and check the condition of it and make sure it's not connected to anything else and that the insulation is in good condition. You may need to unwrap the wiring harness to do that, and you can re-wrap it with the same tape or buy new non-adhesive vinyl tape. It should go through a neutral safety switch, which makes sure the truck is in neutral or park when starting, and then to the ignition switch. There should be no other wires connected to the purple wire at the neutral safety switch or at the ignition switch.

I don't think the problem is likely to be related to ground in any way.

You can remove the connector from the ignition switch and test it with an ohm meter or test light, to make sure the tang that supplies the purple wire voltage only gives voltage in the start position. It should conduct from the tang the fat red wire connects to, to the tang the purple wire connects to, only in the start position. Picture is from a post by VetteVet

dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
lousyflyer

Take the harness connector off and look for signs of excessive heat and melting of the plastic. If it is melted, the switch itself may be damaged.

That's all I got.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #7
Getter-Done

Auto or Manuel Transmission?

,....////
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

I just had the same thing happen to mine. I had to replace the ign. switch & put a new pigtail on the connector. It is fine now.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:11 AM   #9
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by begNOpardon View Post
I have a 71 C10, HEI, Powermaster Performance starter. I’m having some electrical issues. My engine is now starting anytime I turn the key either to ON or ACC. if I turn it all the way to START it just grinds badly. Starter is aligned well w/proper gapping and engages/disengages properly. The only way I can start and drive is to pull the brown ACC wire from the back of the ignition switch.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel I’m pull rope from both ends rather than figuring out the simplest ways to find the root cause. Seems like possibly a grounding issue that’s causing a loop but not sure how to find it. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lemme know if you need more specs or images.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like the ignition switch is going out on you.

By the way, I'm also in Denton, Texas.

O'reillies auto parts carries ignition switches for our truck in stock. I usually have a spare on hand just in case.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #10
BigBird05

With your foot on the brake, take the truck out of park and put it in any gear. Now turn the key on. If nothing happens you have a bad ignition switch.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
57taskforce
All about them K’s

You can test the switch with a multi meter/ohm meter as well. You just have to pull the switch and the plug and test for continuity from the power feed tang on the switch to the purple wire tang in the different positions of the key. It should only have continuity with the key in the start position.

I went thru this with my ‘57 and a new aftermarket switch a few years back. Switch tested bad, and was replaced.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 09-05-2021 at 10:09 AM.
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #12
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I re-read your first post. So with the engine not running, when you turn the key one click to the right the starter starts turning the engine over? You mentioned when you turn the key all the way to start it grinds, does that mean there is a difference between the engine turning over with key in on position, and you get additional sound of grinding adding to that with the key in start position?

I suggest take the purple wire off the starter and connect it to a test light or voltmeter. Connect the negative lead of the voltmeter or test light to ground. See what the test light does in various key positions. Trace the purple wire back from the starter and check the condition of it and make sure it's not connected to anything else and that the insulation is in good condition. You may need to unwrap the wiring harness to do that, and you can re-wrap it with the same tape or buy new non-adhesive vinyl tape. It should go through a neutral safety switch, which makes sure the truck is in neutral or park when starting, and then to the ignition switch. There should be no other wires connected to the purple wire at the neutral safety switch or at the ignition switch.

I don't think the problem is likely to be related to ground in any way.

You can remove the connector from the ignition switch and test it with an ohm meter or test light, to make sure the tang that supplies the purple wire voltage only gives voltage in the start position. It should conduct from the tang the fat red wire connects to, to the tang the purple wire connects to, only in the start position. Picture is from a post by VetteVet

Ignition is brand new and problem existed prior. Also, I have completely eliminated the ignition and problem still persisted. It looks like the neutral safety switch is completely bypassed. I had a light green and dark green wire wires into the purple ignition wire. Seems like PO wired the ignition with possibly the reverse lights that went to the same switch on the column, the neutral switch and reverse switch. I’ve removed those and eliminated the straying problem.

Starter is now GOOD!

Thanks!

However on the wiring diagram the purple ignition wire heads straight to the firewall and then there is another purple/white wire that goes to the neutral safety switch. My ignition/truck does not have the purple/white, only a solid purple. Can that purple be ran directly through the neutral switch or do I need to add a wire (purple/white) from ignition to switch to firewall?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I just had the same thing happen to mine. I had to replace the ign. switch & put a new pigtail on the connector. It is fine now.
George
Ignition is brand new as that was one of my first thoughts and was a cheap enough change which I needed to have a full matching key set so I did switch out ignition and door locks. But again problem persisted prior and after new ignition and when no ignition was in. Thanks though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Sounds like the ignition switch is going out on you.

By the way, I'm also in Denton, Texas.

O'reillies auto parts carries ignition switches for our truck in stock. I usually have a spare on hand just in case.
Posted via Mobile Device

Awesome you’re in Denton. See previous replies though, ignition is brand new. Problem half solved. Starter working as should but now dealing with no running lights/brake lights.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by begNOpardon View Post
Ignition is brand new and problem existed prior. Also, I have completely eliminated the ignition and problem still persisted. It looks like the neutral safety switch is completely bypassed. I had a light green and dark green wire wires into the purple ignition wire. Seems like PO wired the ignition with possibly the reverse lights that went to the same switch on the column, the neutral switch and reverse switch. I’ve removed those and eliminated the straying problem.

Starter is now GOOD!

Thanks!

However on the wiring diagram the purple ignition wire heads straight to the firewall and then there is another purple/white wire that goes to the neutral safety switch. My ignition/truck does not have the purple/white, only a solid purple. Can that purple be ran directly through the neutral switch or do I need to add a wire (purple/white) from ignition to switch to firewall?
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad you got it mostly sorted out, few things are more fun than having to sort thru previous owners’ electrical riggings. You might see if you can catch vettevet over on the electrical section of the board. He is the resident electrical expert.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
pjmoreland

The dashed purple wire on the schematic isn't a separate wire. It is showing alternate wiring for a neutral safety switch inside the cab for an automatic transmission. You can just route your existing purple wire through your neutral safety switch.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #17
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Glad you got it mostly sorted out, few things are more fun than having to sort thru previous owners’ electrical riggings. You might see if you can catch vettevet over on the electrical section of the board. He is the resident electrical expert.
Thanks, getting there. Yes, I’m having the time of my life haha. I do learn a ton every time I have to go deeper with this truck.

I’ll reach out if I hit a wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
begNOpardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The dashed purple wire on the schematic isn't a separate wire. It is showing alternate wiring for a neutral safety switch inside the cab for an automatic transmission. You can just route your existing purple wire through your neutral safety switch.
Thanks so much. Exactly what I was looking for. Follow up question though... at the ignition the alternative purple dashed wire shows to be terminating at a different location on the ignition than the solid purple wire. Is that just for clarity and it’s a non-point? Assuming so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #19
JMac11

Had this happen, Housing was cracked on Neutral Safety Switch. Even more fun was the entire steering column being charged.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #20
BigBird05

I am looking at pgs 8-32,8-33 and 8-34 in the 10-30 service manual. The ppl 12 ga wire goes from the ign switch to the neutral safety switch, thru the switch, thru the bulk head connector to the starter. It doesn't change color. It stays ppl all the way to the starter.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote