The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Got a Chuckle from this Post

I copied and pasted the following from a Facebook Post and thought a chuckle from it. Dont know if the person is a member on here but don't matter he/she is anonymous.

" Have to laugh about the learning process of never having owned a 1968 vehicle before...
I have driven my truck only a handful of times, let alone at night. And so far only one time with the brights on! I stepped on the switch and kept going down the highway.
When I glanced at the dash and saw the little red light, I panicked that it was some archaic engine warning light! I frantically ran through my guages, thought about where I could pull over, how or if I had to baby her home, etc.... before realizing it was my bright lights indicator �� Why is it red and not blue???
Lesson learned!! "

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Got a Chuckle from this Post

We bought my eldest son a '75 Dodge Dart for his first car. He learned to drive in our 2000 Astrovan, and one time he left the headlights on in the Dart, but got a dead battery because there was no alarm for it...

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #3
geunther

Love the story. I think of all these old sayings too. Like my daughter asking, why do we say roll down the window.

My 72 has the auto headlight off feature. I mean, all lights eventually go off.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:18 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Love the story. I think of all these old sayings too. Like my daughter asking, why do we say roll down the window.

My 72 has the auto headlight off feature. I mean, all lights eventually go off.
I lived in Idaho for awhile. I almost missed the humor of your post! I remembered a story. The little town I lived in for about 10 months (Gooding), I worked at a repair shop, everything from tricycles to tractors. One of the local farmer's wife was pregnant, and "late", to which he said, I don't know if I used too much fertilizer or put the seed in too deep.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Accelo

My grandson was looking at the graphics on my 2006 navigation system and says "Grandpa that's old".
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I do not remember why they switched from red to blue, probably some government thing. I remember a couple old VWs and they also had the red high beam indicator. I'm guessing somewhere along the way people thought red was danger and would worry the vehicle was gonna die. Heck back then cop lights were red too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

That's funny, I kind'a wondering wondered why the high beam indicator was red / why they are blue now! Thanks for the post ;-)

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

My 85 there are two amber high beam indicators. Very bright and dont dim with the dash lights. Very annoying
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
geunther

While we're telling stories. Why on earth do they make the blue high beam indicator so bright. When I have my brights on, I'm usually alone on a two lane road and I like the cab dark to see better out. I am not about having my face lit up like I'm on stage. Though, I am usually singing, so maybe it works out (again, I'm alone).
Old 09-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
jocko

I kinda had the opposite experience. Being used to driving older vehicles, I was hurtling thru the semi-mountainous pass around Tehachapi in the dark one night in my “new” 2001 Silverado and noticed my headlight switch, or “module..” was getting real hot. While feeling around on it, I somehow accidentally managed to push the goofy sequence of button pushes on a 2001 Silverado that reverts auto headlights to manual - poof! Pitch black. And couldn’t get them turned back on for about 3-5 seconds. Slowing down and hoping for the best, I nearly sharted when I finally got them back on - headed straight for a pretty significant bend in the highway. I’ve always despised the auto headlight design in the early 2000’s GM trucks, yet I still own two of them, ha. Newer is not always better, or safer or smarter
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #11
Beach-Burban

Quote:
We had our Granddaughters out for a drive in the Suburban, when we saw some friends out in front of their house. We stopped to talk for a minute, and told the girls that they could roll down the windows. Our 9 year old informed us that it was broken, as she was tapping on the armrest ashtray trying to "roll down the window"! We couldn't stop laughing!!!

Woody

Name:  IMG_E1880.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  49.0 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cute kids! I'd strongly recommend that you change that seat belt shoulder strap location. Back in the day, the belts used to have a warning for persons under a certain height (I'm thinking 5') not to use the shoulder strap.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #13
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Cute kids! I'd strongly recommend that you change that seat belt shoulder strap location. Back in the day, the belts used to have a warning for persons under a certain height (I'm thinking 5') not to use the shoulder strap.
Thanks for your concern, Steeveedee...beleive me when I say that the Beach-Burban was scrutinized by the ultimate authority before the kids were allowed to travel anywhere in it...their mother!!! Please note two things: First...the youngest is seated in a booster to raise her to the appropriate height and that she sits in the spot where the belt travels at a lower apex than the other 3-point belts do. Second...the oldest is nearly 5 feet tall, and only looks like she doesn't fit the belt correctly because she is leaning way into the middle seat position for the purpose of taking the picture (vehicle was parked at the time). Their mother (my daughter) is an actual scientist and when it comes to this kind of stuff, she breaks out the the slide-rule! But I am seriously thankful for anybody that shows concern for children's safety...Thank you!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Thanks for your concern, Steeveedee...beleive me when I say that the Beach-Burban was scrutinized by the ultimate authority before the kids were allowed to travel anywhere in it...their mother!!! Please note two things: First...the youngest is seated in a booster to raise her to the appropriate height and that she sits in the spot where the belt travels at a lower apex than the other 3-point belts do. Second...the oldest is nearly 5 feet tall, and only looks like she doesn't fit the belt correctly because she is leaning way into the middle seat position for the purpose of taking the picture (vehicle was parked at the time). Their mother (my daughter) is an actual scientist and when it comes to this kind of stuff, she breaks out the the slide-rule! But I am seriously thankful for anybody that shows concern for children's safety...Thank you!

Woody
Any time!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 09-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #15
dmjlambert

Before I got my 69 truck I used to buy cars that were 1 or 2 years old and drive them for many years before getting another one. So I was not familiar with modern things. So I had the opposite experience compared to that facebook poster. My family was going on a vacation and we thought it would be nice to rent a minivan to go across the state, so we could have plenty of room. The rental was a very effortless checkout, I spent about 5 minutes in the office paying and an attendant pulled up in the minivan and left it running for me about 10 steps from the counter. I hopped in and drove away and after a few blocks I noticed the hazard flashers were on. I reached down to the steering column, and no, the button was not there. I pulled over and searched the whole vehicle for the button. I called the rental office, they couldn't figure it out either. I pulled out the huge manual and started searching through it. I was about to give up and just drive it back to the rental place and tell them I need a different vehicle, I don't need this nonsense, when I ran across the page in the manual. It was a dash mounted button that looked like a triangle. I thought that was some sort of emblem or decoration and had no idea of pushing it. Now I know. I thought it was a funny episode, and I'm glad I was not in a rush. Now I came to my senses and got a classic. I got rid of my modern (12 year old) car, that was the last modern car I'll need. I'll just drive 1969 or earlier cars and trucks as daily drivers from now on. I like the pre-huge-amounts-of-molded-plastic-inside-the-cab era. I might be in for another surprise the next time I rent a car.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #16
geunther

One more story.

I grew up on a ranch, learning to drive in 64 GMC short bed 4x4 (would love to have that now). We only had manual transmissions, never took the keys out etc. When I was 15 my friend loaned me his 70ish LTD. I thought I would wash it for him for letting me borrow it.

After the wash, the car started nicely. But I spent the next 30 min trying to get the car out of park. No matter how hard I pulled on the selector, it would not come out of park. I was not old enough to drive and began to panic that the cops would find me at the car wash, stuck in the wash bay. I finally lucked out and bumped the brake pedal as I was pulling and lo and behold, it popped right out of park. Dang new fangled safety contraptions.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #17
LT7A

Quote:
While we're telling stories. Why on earth do they make the blue high beam indicator so bright. When I have my brights on, I'm usually alone on a two lane road and I like the cab dark to see better out. I am not about having my face lit up like I'm on stage. Though, I am usually singing, so maybe it works out (again, I'm alone).
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote