The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
TxCajun

Tailgate chain eyelet removal

I'm working to remove the tailgate chain hardware. I thought that the chain eyelet in the picture below would just come off when I removed the bolts. However, it remains firmly attached on both ends of the tailgate.

I don't see any obvious welds to be cut. Anyone know a simple way to remove this eyelet without buggering up the tailgate?

(I don't plan to retain this chain eyelet. I'm removing it so that I can install some '98 S10 latches and do away with the chains.)

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
TxCajun

Re: Tailgate chain eyelet removal

Well, I didn't receive any responses, so I decided to do exploratory surgery.

First, I drilled out the 3/8 thread using a 1/2 inch drill bit thinking that there might be some sort of swaged attachment. Nope.

Next, I made horizontal cuts through the chain eyelet body, trying not to go into the tailgate sheet metal. Once the cuts were made, I used a hammer and chisel to remove the pieces. This part was apparently welded to the tailgate end flange from the backside prior to assembly of the tailgate sheet metal. On both sides of my tailgate, there were two spot/plug welds above and below the mounting hole.

After getting the chain eyelet body out of the way, I smoothed out this area using a grinding wheel and a flap disc. Next step is to figure out how to mount these S10 Latches.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
SkinnyG

I initially tried to post "is there any evidence of spot welds?", but it looks like I did not actually post it. Even if I had, the thickness of the eyelet metal tells me that you likely wouldn't have seen any "dimple" from welding.

Looks like you went about this the right way!!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
val1gonzales

Interesting dissection. Looks like it could have been welded from the inside then a bolt added as an after thought to keep it from rotating. It is a fleet side or step side tailgate?
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
TxCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1gonzales View Post
Interesting dissection. Looks like it could have been welded from the inside then a bolt added as an after thought to keep it from rotating. It is a fleet side or step side tailgate?
It's a Fleetside.

I think the design of plug welds plus a bolt going through to the bracket on the inside (the part shown on the top of the tailgate in the picture) was to add strength to this area since this chain eyelet supports the weight of the tailgate plus people plus load when the tailgate is down and the chains are supporting the tailgate.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #6
AcampoDave

My Tri-Plus aftermarket tailgate has no welds for the eyelet and it rocks over when I put any decent weight on the chains. I'm going to remedy that one day by welding another piece to it so it will be fastened in with both bolts. Thanks for posting this thread because now I understand why my factory tailgate didnt have the same problem as the re-pop.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote