The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Artie in Miami

1990 GMC Suburban

I had my truck running while I installed a new socket for my trailer lights plug...when my screwdriver created a short between two of the contacts...the truck stalled. It started up fine after that...but now when I try to put it in reverse...it stalls every time. Should a short in the tail wiring cause the truck to stall ? I would expect a fuse to blow rather than a stall...is there a larger issue at play here ? Something is fishy !! This truck has the intermediate carb/fuel injection combo (cannot think of the name for that right now !). I think it may be called "throttle body" ?
Artie in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
ACS

Re: 1990 GMC Suburban

I’m guessing this is more than a flat 4 connector. Is it a 7 or 8 pin style with a brake controller? If you put the 12v charge wire or brake controller hot wire to one of the light circuits, you might have killed a neutral safety or brake light switch. A fuse protects a circuit from the battery/charge system, it can’t protect a circuit if you backfeed it.

Assuming it’s automatic. Does it stall with the shifter movement or when you press the brake pedal? Will it start in neutral and drop into drive and go?

Hoping it’s something simple like this.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
Artie in Miami

I just realized that when I move the shifter from park to reverse, I automatically step on the brake pedal...I am going to investigate tomorrow and get back to you...thanks so much !!
Old 11-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Artie in Miami

I pulled off the trailer light connector (6 pin round plug) and started the truck...put it in reverse and no stall...so I took a closer look at the wires that went into the trailer light socket on the truck. There is a "yoke" where the wires enter the body of the socket which tightens and holds the wires in place..the yoke is steel and it cut into the wires causing the short !! I got lucky that it was not something serious...thanks for the info AC3...and yes, it did start in neutral and did not stall when dropped into drive...I did not press the brake pedal when starting in neutral...so I just removed the wires from the trailer light socket and the problem stopped !!
Old 11-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Artie in Miami

Just when I thought I was in good shape....now....when I try to use the signal lights, the truck stalls. I pulled all the trailer wires and connections off so there is no chance of a shorted wire...and I still have the problem. I did notice that when the truck is not running (key to on position) the turn signal lights do not work at all. Now, I wish I never had a boat ! Once it stalls, it will not start again unless I let it sit for a few hours...it cranks...but will not start.