The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Artie in Miami

electrical issue

While changing my trailer light plug, my screwdriver touched the ground pin and the right turn pin (inside the plug) the engine happened to be running so I could identify the wires for stop, turn etc...the instant the screwdriver shorted those two pins, the engine died (no sputter...just stopped). After I finished the wiring, I started the engine and when I put it in reverse (with foot on the brake) the engine died. I disconnected all trailer plug wires, started the engine and was able to put it in reverse without engine dying. Took truck to the store and when I tried to put the signal light on, engine died. When key is on without engine running, signal lights do not work. This has me scratching my head ! When it dies, it will not start right back up...cranks, but won't start...if I let it sit for a few hours, it will start again. 1990 GMC Suburban TBI 350. Bought the truck in 2000 and this is the first real problem in 20 yrs ! I also have a 1986 Suburban 350 4 bbl with towing rear end...I was going to change the trailer plug on that also...but I think I will not !
Artie in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: electrical issue

You wouldn't think the tail light wires would affect the ECM but who knows. If it doesn't run it should set a ses code. I doubt that this would happen on the 86 with no ECM.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
pound41

This is totally random and off point but. I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD 8.1L that I bought new
Only owned it a month It was cold went into reduced engine power on the 2nd time I started it that day. It would only do when it was cold and 2nd start of the day and never would quit while running. for 16 years I never touched it. Changed the plug at the throttle body and everything went to hell. Would quick while running. had everything replaced same results. Ordered a new harness for the throttle system. Guy who was going to put it on for me is a mechanic at a large military base. I was telling him what was done to it etc and he was telling me that they had several trucks that went in REP and the cause was a ground on a taillight He said fix that ground and the truck was good until the ground went bad again. So who knows. Trace those Tail light wires and see if anything shows.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
87max

check your grounds bizarre things happen when they go.
87max is offline   Reply With Quote