The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 AM   #1
Accelo

Raised Transmission Crossmember (for exhaust)

I purchased on of the Raised Transmission cross-members. It is designed so you can tuck the exhaust up into the frame. My truck was a manual and I needed a cross-member anyway so I purchased one from FleaBay.
In general, I was happy with it. It is overbuilt compared to a stock one.
I thought it would have been nice if the manufacture would have drilled the part that attaches to the frame with the stock bolt hole centers. Still a nice piece for the money.

Now for my dilemma, I installed the emergency brake cables and they run right through the raised area where the exhaust should be.
Every-time I deviate from stock there are compromises to make or $ to spend.

I can run the exhaust in the lower stock position. (My truck isn't low enough that it matters).
I can attempt to reroute the emergency brake cables.
I can run the exhaust and let the cables rest on the exhaust piping.
All ideas are appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-03-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
sick472

Re: Raised Transmission Crossmember (for exhaust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post

I can run the exhaust in the lower stock position. (My truck isn't low enough that it matters).
I can attempt to reroute the emergency brake cables.
I can run the exhaust and let the cables rest on the exhaust piping.
All ideas are appreciated.
The safe answer is...It's best for the cables to NOT touch the exhaust pipes.

BUT, I have seen it happen a few times without any bad effect. I have two vehicles where an unsheathed portion of the cable rubs slightly. The key is that it is not causing much of a change in cable direction. You can imagine if a cable had more of a curve in it going around a pipe that it could bind and/or slip making it hard to adjust properly. Let alone wear on the cable or pipe.

I would consider getting a longer cable and an additional hook (or hooks) and redirect it entirely. I shorter cable might do it, but I doubt it...You'll just have to look it over. Relocating/ repositioning the existing hooks with the original cable may be an option too.

Running the pipes to avoid the cables is the easiest, but it would defeat the cool crossmember and the advantage of having the pipes tucked in. Surely one of our "lowered" truck buddies can suggest what they have done.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
Accelo

I have considered purchasing a crossover cable for a long bed truck and modifying it.
Hate to mess with a safety cable. However, silver soldering a new end may work?
We have a commercial wire rope dealer that can put ends on the larger stuff. Not sure if they work on anything this small in diameter.

It appears the cables are designed to pivot, not slide, at the frame anchor points.
If I had to add pulleys it wouldn't be a big deal. I am getting close to installing the exhaust. Getting excited to be able to start and run the motor. Something like modifying the brake can easily add a week to the schedule. It sure would be easier to run the exhaust lower and abandon the prior work. With hundreds of dollars for exhaust work I prefer to get it right the first time.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Jason Banks

I'm really interested to see what suggestions people have for this. I have the same problem. Holley/Hooker/Blackheart transmission crossmember with 4L80E.

I messed with the setup for a long time before I made my exhaust and gave up. Figuring I would come back to the problem later.

Accelo: I got this Dorman cable so you can adjust the length but haven't found a solution yet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO90E6/
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

I will add to what sick472 posted. Most exhaust pipes aren't rigidly mounted which creates the following the problem of proper adjustment of the brake.
With the cable being deflected as it passes the exhaust pipe it adds some "slack" to the cable run. When the brake is applied all "slack" must be removed before the brake shoes are engaged. The exhaust pipe will move as the cable comes tight.
The emergency brake system in our trucks has a limited amount of cable travel or movement so proper adjustment is key to good braking action. If the exhaust pipes have to move before the shoes are fully applied there won't be enough cable movement available.
If one were to preload the cable to try and get the brake shoes to engage you risk having the shoes engage when the exhaust pipes move around under acceleration and deceleration. Eventually the shoes will wear and the emergency braking action will be ineffective. This is a very common occurrence on vehicles with poorly installed exhaust systems. Using a factory style hook to keep the cable clear of the exhaust is the proper way to go.
I'm not sure about pulleys. On the surface it sounds good but, the long term conditions under the truck may take their toll on the pulleys leading to a loss of brake effectiveness.
The another concern with a "preloaded" cable is it will eventually wear a hole in the exhaust pipe.

Just some opinions for your consideration.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
jimijam00

I had a similar problem on my Chevelle when installing a 4L80E. I used a G Force crossmember and ended up welding on a couple hangers/hooks to it to keep the cable up off the exhaust.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
Zeroman

This is a bit over the top, but it would work with a few modifications.

Bruce88 has an epic build thread for his truck called "It's Just a Pickup". If you have not seen this build thread you need to see it.

Here is the link to page 14. Look at post #349.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=14

It might help.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
LS short box

Just FYI but C3 Corvettes have a plastic wheel to reroute the e-brake cable. I believe the C2's were the same. Worked from 1963 to 1982.
Having said that I think you could build a bracket to hold the cable away from the exhaust.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:12 AM   #9
Bobby Schulz

My first thought is maybe to use a bolt on or weld on pulley block to raise the parking brake cable upward if you have the cable slack and the room. Something like this to allow the cable to roll smoothly while raising it at the same time. https://www.amazon.com/BNYZWOT-Stain...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Bobby Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
Accelo

Three out of four cables are new (except the center one) I was surprised how little slack their is in the system. The adjustment nuts are an the very end of the cable's threaded portion. Rear brakes are new and not really adjusted. Maybe I will get more slack after driving the truck awhile. I need to talk with the exhaust guy. I am quite sure he has his opinions.
Once the exhaust is installed I will be committed. I sure appreciate the comments.