The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
palallin

Time for a new HEI?

'69 K10, 327, has had an HEI in it for quite a few years. The distributor was used when I got it, and it has served well for many years.

Two years ago, the truck started giving me intermittent problems---running rough and hesitating at various times, sometimes coming off idle but sometimes on the road at speed. The problem would go away for a while, and the truck would run like a top. Then it would come back.

Last year, while I had the radiator out for replacement, I went through the ignition system and replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and module. At first, everything was fine, and I thought I had cured the problem. But then I'd get a sort of a blip in the smooth purr--just like, for an instant, the engine wasn't running. This happened just once or twice on a 20-minute trip to town, with varied speeds from <20mph over gravel to >60mph on the interstate. As time went on, the "blip" would occur more frequently, and, every now and again, there'd be a backfire out the tailpipes. Now, the "blips" happen frequently and the backfires are beginning to become more frequent,
too.

Based on all this, I think I have an ignition problem. Nothing has changed about fuel delivery (Carter/Edelbrock 1405, IIRC). I suspect the old distributor is worn out. I am looking for suggestions for replacements. I would prefer not to spend much more than $200, less if possible (the $600 radiator really hit the truck budget!).

I could swap the point unit back in--I still have it all these years later, and it should be OK, but, of course, it has who-knows-how-many-miles on it, too. And I'd have to undo the mods I made to use the HEI.

I assume that verifying 12 volts at the distributor (again) would be a good idea, but, assuming the power is there (as it was the last time I checked), should I go with a stocker or look at an aftermarket unit?

What's your experience?