The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
BrentBTK

Flaming River Tilt Column FINALLY In!!!

What an adventure. It all started with a CJ Pony Parts "Replacement" steering column. That was garbage with the wrong output shaft and no neutral safety switch provision. Back it went, in came the Flaming River tilt column. It had the proper output shaft, but no flat spot to bolt into the existing universal on the shaft. Yesterday, after almost setting the truck on fire, I ordered a Borgeson 3/4"DD to 3/4" 36 spline universal, figuring I'm going to have to cut the original end off the shaft. That worked great. Pics of the cut shaft and universal below. Alright! Cooking with gas! Not quite... Post to follow.
Attached Images

BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
BrentBTK

Re: Flaming River Tilt Column FINALLY In!!!

Next, I connect the transmission linkage and get it all adjusted then install the shift lever and run the trans all the way down and back up. It comes to a hard stop at neutral and will go no farther. Now I'm losing it. After a week of being stuck, I finally get the column in and it won't shift back past neutral. Time to call Flaming River and hope for a miracle. After explaining the issue to the tech, he says I have 2 choices. I can call Summit and have them send me a new one, or I can send this one into Flaming River for repair. You gotta be kidding me. After explaining my displeasure at the entire situation, he put me on hold to go talk to the guys that build them. He came back on the line and explained that if I pull the shift lever out, I may be able to see a small ridge that may be slightly flared out. Perhaps I can get a screwdriver in there and "tap" in into place a bit. Okay, at this point I have nothing to lose, so what the hell. I'll jam a screwdriver in my brand new $1,000 column and bang on it. Son of a... it worked. Tapped on the ridge, polished on the shift lever a bit, and she shifts like a dream. Yes! Pics below! Ready to go! NOPE! Another post coming!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
BrentBTK

So now, it's time to plug in the connector. WTF? It looks right, but it won't line up. I grab the one off the old column to compare the two, and the are just SLIGHTLY different on one end and the new one won't plug into the AAW plug. Okay. I pulled all the pins out of the new plug, inserted them all into the old plug, and in she went. Once that was handled, I finally got her all buttoned up and threw the old wheel back on for a test drive as I'm still waiting for the adapter for the new one. Everything works perfectly. What a journey! Pics of the plug and installed universal below.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
Thealien

Glad you finally won.
Thealien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Holy cow and I thought dealing with a (actually two) bad Turn Signal Switch was bad!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

damn. this makes me want to rebuild my original instead of trying aftermarket lol

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I installed an Ididit universal tilt column and when it came for the slot in the splined shaft for the cross bolt to go into, I just used a Dremel and ground out the area in the splines for the cross bolt to fit through. Then I was able to use my stock shaft from there to the steering box. The Ididit column also came with an adapter to mate up to the original wire harness.

Sorry you went through all that.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I installed an Ididit universal tilt column and when it came for the slot in the splined shaft for the cross bolt to go into, I just used a Dremel and ground out the area in the splines for the cross bolt to fit through. Then I was able to use my stock shaft from there to the steering box.
I debated using a dremel on the shaft and opted for the new universal instead. It seems much beefier and the old one was easy to cut off after I got over the fear, lol.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #9
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The Ididit column also came with an adapter to mate up to the original wire harness.
I should be clear, it came with the proper plug on the end. I just recently installed a new American Autowire wiring harness and had replaced the original plug with the one in the kit. So, technically the Flaming River plug didn't quite match the AAW wiring harness plug. I don't think that one was on them, lol.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
RPBurris

I just started this journey yesterday. My FR column was delivered a few weeks ago and went with the specific model for our trucks. I did not get an adaptor for their wiring harness to the stock GM harness. Did you reuse the boot/seal from your old column and the seal retainer ring?
Old 02-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBurris View Post
I just started this journey yesterday. My FR column was delivered a few weeks ago and went with the specific model for our trucks. I did not get an adaptor for their wiring harness to the stock GM harness. Did you reuse the boot/seal from your old column and the seal retainer ring?
I did. I took the old column apart, slid them off, and put them on the new one.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #12
Lethal Tendencies

Make sure you use thread lock on that U-joint for the steering shaft. I bought an adapter harness for my column harness that didn't fit from LMC. Ended up cutting all the wires and soldering them together.
Lethal Tendencies is offline   Reply With Quote