The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
Missyblue

New seat how to support new mount safely

Pic isnt mine but is the style seat I have. I read before that I should add metal to brace the new bolt holes in the floor since they wont go in the original braced locations. But not sure how much...would.a 3 or 4 inch plate with each bolt be enough or.should I run a strap all the way from side to side? As in front to tail to hold both bolts. Or driver to passenger ? Debated making a mount so I could use original holes but it's a bit off so would be kinda awkward.
Attached Images

Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: New seat how to support new mount safely

I'd say that you are on the right track with what you are thinking. A reinforcement under the floor that is large enough to spread the pull out so the seat bolts won't pull out in an accident. That for the seat and especially for the seat belt anchor points.

On a 67/72 Chevy short bed I bought a number of years ago a previous owner had swapped seats in it and used lag bolts to hold the seat down. We found that when we too the seat out to replace it with a proper seat. I no more than had the seat in it and someone pulled in the driveway and offered way more money than I thought it was worth and bought it on the spot.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-10-2022 at 02:20 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:00 AM   #3
dsraven

since the seat mounts are close to the floor edge where the step is I would say mount the reinforcement bar fore to aft under the floor, like a piece of 2x2x3/16 angle with holes drilled and grade 8 bolts to mount the seat with, as that will likely be better than a side to side reinforcement bar under the floor. personally I would also use some large fender washers under the seat mount, on top of the floor, and the reinforcement under the floor.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
dsraven

for seat belt mounts maybe use the same theory with the fender washers above the floor and something heavier and longer under the floor but also attach a cable to that bolt under the floor that would connect the seat belt with the frame. that way if things go awry the seat belt would be attached to something strong even if the floor were to be less than adequate under the given circumstances.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote