The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
65chevysub

Softening my 3/4 ton ride

Cant remember if I asked this before, but how can I "soften" the ride on my 84 Sierra 2500? The ride is harsh like in a 4wd. It has the 8600lb rear axle. Can a leaf or two be removed to help smooth out the ride? I dont haul anything heavy, except my camper shell.
Thanks for any help or tips
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Softening my 3/4 ton ride

Installing a stack of springs with less springs than you have in your current stack would help. Maybe from a Pick a part place.

Take caution about taking leafs out of the current stack.

With leaf springs you should never remove either the bottom or the one right next to the main.

Without the bottom one the pack will bend and without the other the main might break.
Try removing the leaf right after the bottom one.

Adding a Heavier rear bumper would help also.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Don't C10 leaf springs fit C20 hangers?

If so you can use the 4 leaf pack, and add air bags for weight capacity. Or you can do it to removed leafs too.

The 5 leaf pack is not a bad choice either.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Don't C10 leaf springs fit C20 hangers?

If so you can use the 4 leaf pack, and add air bags for weight capacity. Or you can do it to removed leafs too.

The 5 leaf pack is not a bad choice either.
I’m not 100% sure but don’t c10s have the 52” springs and c20s have the 56” springs?

I guess rough rides are relative depending on where you start. I just swapped out some 12 leaf 1 ton springs on my crew cab for some 7 leaf c20 springs in hopes of a little less harsh driving experience
Attached Images

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
I’m not 100% sure but don’t c10s have the 52” springs and c20s have the 56” springs?

I guess rough rides are relative depending on where you start. I just swapped out some 12 leaf 1 ton springs on my crew cab for some 7 leaf c20 springs in hopes of a little less harsh driving experience
12 leafs that is the CS smooth ride suspension package. My 1973 C20 CS had something like 16 leafs including overloads. It took 2500 pounds of scrap to lower the rear end 1 full inch.

When I lived in Chino's Hills crossing chino hills Pkwy, on pipeline were a serious set of dips. My son loved to hit them doing 50mph. He would put his hands up, and scream. With the HD suspension we would get hacked into the air something good. Had to stop due to a mild back injury, and threats of lawsuits.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:08 AM   #6
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
12 leafs that is the CS smooth ride suspension package. My 1973 C20 CS had something like 16 leafs including overloads. It took 2500 pounds of scrap to lower the rear end 1 full inch.

When I lived in Chino's Hills crossing chino hills Pkwy, on pipeline were a serious set of dips. My son loved to hit them doing 50mph. He would put his hands up, and scream. With the HD suspension we would get hacked into the air something good. Had to stop due to a mild back injury, and threats of lawsuits.
Smooth ride suspension package! We've got a couple spots around the house where I brace for impact every time. I can't imagine 4 more leafs.

The Government Mule
Old 02-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Smooth ride suspension package! We've got a couple spots around the house where I brace for impact every time. I can't imagine 4 more leafs.
My C10 has a odd mix of parts. Along with a 5 leaf rear pack. I am thinking it needs to be 4 leafs with helper air bags.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:

@jcramsey......
C10's could be had w/both length leafs (52" or 56"); long beds or short beds. My '74 swb had the towing/trailer package w/a 56" 6-leaf + overload spring pack.

@65chevysub....
Removing leafs or swapping in a C10 rated spring pack from a lighter-duty truck would be the way to go. Then, if you need extra 'lift' w/the camper load, you could use an AOL (air-over-leaf) set-up to re-gain the ride height when necessary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #9
chevmn

Tires are also a possibility. I see a lot of individuals running higher ply rated tires and never haul anything. If you do not haul much think about putting "P" rated (passenger) tires on it. I plan on doing this on my 72 C20 - mostly because I have a decent set of BF Goodrich that came off a lighter truck, and I have no plans on doing much hauling. As a matter of fact I have always ran P rated tires on my 1/2 ton 4x4, and pull a 16 foot car hauler once in a while. I just watch pressures, and not get carried away, and never had an issue. 8 or 10 Ply "rated" tires ride rough.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #10
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
If you do not haul much think about putting "P" rated (passenger) tires on it. I plan on doing this on my 72 C20 - mostly because I have a decent set of BF Goodrich that came off a lighter truck, and I have no plans on doing much hauling.
A local tire shop will only install 'P' tires on a 1/2 ton. They refuse to do so on anything bigger. This might be a legal requirement too; I don't know.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #11
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
If you do not haul much think about putting "P" rated (passenger) tires on it. I plan on doing this on my 72 C20 - mostly because I have a decent set of BF Goodrich that came off a lighter truck, and I have no plans on doing much hauling.
A local tire shop will only install 'P' tires on a 1/2 ton. They refuse to do so on anything bigger. This might be a legal requirement too; I don't know.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
I meant to suggest the tire perspective as well. Load rating can make a difference but it's not the end-all for ride quality difference.

My CC 1-ton dually & my CC OBS 3/4 ton trucks both utilize proper load rated rear tires w/LT tires in front. They both ride pretty decent utilizing 2 different set-ups. The dually was changed over to a 4-bar/sleeve style air-bag set-up w/Michelin LTX's & the '99 OBS has the stock 8600# rated leafs w/Kuhmo's (I think that's what they were).

I feel the OBS era leafs are more compliant vs the same size/quantity leaf pack from a Squarebody. I know my 3/4 ton OBS has a slightly better ride vs. my old '74 C10 w/the HD leaf pack despite both being lowered the same way (flip-kit).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
@jcramsey......
C10's could be had w/both length leafs (52" or 56"); long beds or short beds. My '74 swb had the towing/trailer package w/a 56" 6-leaf + overload spring pack.
I stand corrected, good info to know!

The Government Mule
Old 02-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
I stand corrected, good info to know!
This is also why when the rear on some trucks get lowered, you may/may-not have to trim/clearance a bed cross-sill support to clear the rear shackle. Trucks w/the longer leafs usually clear the mod & don't require the additional effort. The shorter 52" leaf trucks do require the additional work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #15
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Might be time for a different shop - one that is about customer service, not the dollar, or take wheels in off the truck... I have had to do that before when I tried to buy a battery and they refused to sell me a battery because it was not listed in their system, even though it would fit and was a better battery. I do a lot of my own tires, and I bought a manual changer, and balancer years ago. That and some of those shops insist on replacing TPMS sensors, charge for nitrogen, new stems, etc, whether they need or not. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place to replace some items, but a lot of that is simply about profit.... they price tires - then by the time they have them installed, you owe them double what was quoted.

Last edited by chevmn; 02-14-2022 at 03:16 PM.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #16
Wikid61
Post Whore

If you pull the leaf pack out, round the corners of the one that make contact/rub. Polish the flats & add a strip of Teflon between each leave. Shocks & how much you spend on them should be factored in the equation.
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote