The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #1
HeavyHauler

Can 1968 C10 front trailing arm bushings be replaced while on the truck?

Can the rear trailing arm bushings for a 1968 C10 be replaced while the arms are still on the truck are do you have to completely remove the trailing arms to replace the bushings?
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:14 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Can 1968 C10 front trailing arm bushings be replaced while on the truck?

I am assuming so, with the correct tools. Might be handy to have a ball joint press or something like that to reinstall the bushings. Maybe it can be installed with a BFH. But I'm not going to be under a dusty old truck while it's being slammed with a four pound hammer.

Doubt it would be worth the headache.
Removing the E-brake cable and the two large nuts on the U-bolts and it's out.
Of course getting the large nuts off a rusty old u-bolt that has been backed into a few times is no picnic either.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I am assuming so, with the correct tools. Might be handy to have a ball joint press or something like that to reinstall the bushings. Maybe it can be installed with a BFH. But I'm not going to be under a dusty old truck while it's being slammed with a four pound hammer.

Doubt it would be worth the headache.
Removing the E-brake cable and the two large nuts on the U-bolts and it's out.
Of course getting the large nuts off a rusty old u-bolt that has been backed into a few times is no picnic either.
Cheers.

I have already replaced the rear springs,shocks and converted to rear disc so the disassembly of that part would be easier since all new hardware was used.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
SCOTI

Either way won't be fun if they're the original bushings. If one has access to a lift & proper shop stands/screw-jacks, it's worth a shot.
Flat-backing it as a DIY @ home driveway deal? Not so much mainly because of the limited access/mobility.

There's not much to getting the arms off as mentioned (front bushing bolts; e-brake cables; rear end housing U-bolts; lower shock bolts). Just trying to drop the fronts to do the job w/these mentioned items attached & tightened to spec will likely work against you which will complicate the task.

The bushings themselves are not a simple in/out rebuild & even doing them on the work bench is a struggle sometimes. Usually they're not removal friendly. So the struggle of trying to do them under the truck where it's difficult to secure things in place will likely be a PITA. It's possible one could get REALLY LUCKY & they won't be bad; but like mentioned fighting w/their removal under the vehicle won't be fun. After that, trying to re-align the front of the arm/bushing w/the hole in the frame bracket to get the bolts back in w/everything previously mentioned attached & tightened to spec will be a PITA.

For reassembly, it's usually easier to pop the bolts in up front & then work the U-bolts into place @ each side for the rear. Once you have all those in place, the shock brackets can go back on, the hardware started & then the e-brake cables.

*EDIT* You posted while I was proofing....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #5
71 super

It would be tough without taking completely out, but removal of bushings is a lot easier if you use a drill and drill out the rubber around the sleeve. You can see technique on brothers tech channel on you tube. Dave Welch does good job of explaining how to remove.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:01 AM   #6
HeavyHauler

Will i have to remove or disconnect my brake hoses as well in order to remove the trailing arms. I am thinking that i will need to.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
kev2809
low n' slo

nope remove the 2 bolts holding the arms to the crossmember. unhook the parking brake cable on each arm. unbolt the u bolts from the axle. slide them out. the bushings on mine came out super easy. I drilled small holes in the rubber around the metal sleeve. then put a socket the same size and lightly hammered it out. then just peeled the old rubber out with a flat punch. was almost too easy.

new ones went in easy too. slightly grease them and tapped them right in.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Yes you can and here is how I did mine. If you don't have a lift then some tall jack stands to the frame will be needed. Then you will have to remove the rear wheels and possibly unbolt the lower shock mounts. All this is to get enough articulation of the rear axle.

I had mine on a lift and the truck has air bags so I didn't have to remove the wheels or shocks.

Reading this years later makes me wish I could go back into it and do some editing. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=11
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Accelo

Here is a couple of tools I made to press the bushing in. One is split in two and used as spacer to keep the two half's from collapsing when the bushing is pressed in. The other is just the pilot used in the press. This was designed to only push on the OD of the bushing. Maybe an over kill? However you can see the scrape marks in the bushing. Do they make a busing where you leave the outer case in the trailing arm? I used the full bushing.
Don't forget you tighten the retaining nut after the truck is back on the ground or at least supported by the rear axle.
I liked HO455's innovative solution. No press required. Looks very doable.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Here is a couple of tools I made to press the bushing in. One is split in two and used as spacer to keep the two half's from collapsing when the bushing is pressed in. The other is just the pilot used in the press. This was designed to only push on the OD of the bushing. Maybe an over kill? However you can see the scrape marks in the bushing. Do they make a busing where you leave the outer case in the trailing arm? I used the full bushing.
Don't forget you tighten the retaining nut after the truck is back on the ground or at least supported by the rear axle.
Energy Suspension poly bushings press into the OG shell. Rubber is better here but many do the poly swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote