The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #1
MikeB

column shift lever bushing

Looks like the bushing is too long to allow the ball to fit into the shift tube hole.
Is the idea to compress the bushing when pinning the shift handle into the shift bowl?

Internet photo:

My stuff:
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
MikeB

Re: column shift lever bushing

Bump
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 02-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know if that is the original intent or not but if the bushing is fairly soft I think it would compress enough for the ball to engage in the hole without any problem, when you push the lever in and install the pin.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
MikeB

It's actually pretty stiff. I hit it with a heat gun, but it still didn't want to go over the ball. I'll eventually get that done though, and I even have a spare.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm not sure how far the ball actually goes into the socket in the shift tube but it must be a ways. You don't hear a lot of complaints about the ball slipping out of the socket, just about them breaking off. I don't think I have any levers with the bushing still on them, I will have to check.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
pjmoreland

I'm interested to see if you're able to get one of those installed with a heat gun. I split two of them trying to install them, and I even enlarged the opening on one of them. I have only ever seen remnants of originals. I don't think it was a well thought out design. It doesn't seem to be an important component though. Softer material might have worked better.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't have any that have enough material left to tell how long they were for sure.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-27-2022, 09:35 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I'm interested to see if you're able to get one of those installed with a heat gun. I split two of them trying to install them, and I even enlarged the opening on one of them. I have only ever seen remnants of originals. I don't think it was a well thought out design. It doesn't seem to be an important component though. Softer material might have worked better.

I can't see where a split would actually hurt anything. It's a tight fit when it's in the shift collar. I don't think it could go anywhere.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #9
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I can't see where a split would actually hurt anything. It's a tight fit when it's in the shift collar. I don't think it could go anywhere.

LockDoc
That's a good point.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #10
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I'm interested to see if you're able to get one of those installed with a heat gun. I split two of them trying to install them, and I even enlarged the opening on one of them.
That's a good idea about enlarging the hole. I might try that on one of them. Gave up matching the factory paint on the column, so will probably go with black and start assembling things this week.

The "pot metal" shift bowl wobbles a little on the steel shift tube, but I just can't think of a way to tighten it up. Really don't want add weld to the side of the "guide" piece here and then grind/file to shape. Maybe a .002" piece of shim stock epoxied to the ID of the shift bowl? Second photo shows tapered ends which don't help.
Attached Images