The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
JEsterly

Question lockers in snow

I am wanting to add a locker to my suburban, wonder how they do in snow? Im either going with ARB or Detroit locker.. will only be used once and a while in the snow when traveling home to PA in the winter, other then that its in the mud and trails.
JEsterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I've got one in my 69 and never had a problem with it in the snow. Haven't driven hardly at all on ice but could see ice being more problematic.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Destructo

If your willing to spring for the cash of an ARB Air locker then I would get one of those, good manners in the dry stuff and when you get stuck just lock it in and away you go. Won't have to worry about locker noise, or street manners that way.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
Cethern
What was I thinking??

I have had the ARB and loved it. I have also had a welded rear I know it's not a detroit.
the big problem is the ice, And for me it would be nice to know when the locker will do it's thing. With a Detroit it will lock up when you don't expect it to. Now after time you should get the feel of it and have a idea when it will act weird.
With the ARB as you know it works when you want it to there are more parts to go wrong. I like to have the Air Compressor. it's slow but it will air a 35 bfg.

Cethern
Cethern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
JEsterly

I know Detroit now makes an electric locker, with the basic idea of being like an ARB. I was just thinking that if the temp is too cold that the air compressor wouldnt work as well to air up the locker. thinking ..like a basketball you leave outside in the cold, it loses pressure.
JEsterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Cethern
What was I thinking??

I've never hear of anything like that happening. I would get a better hose than the one that comes with the kit like a braided steel one.
And you Detroit does have that new locker out do they offer it for a 12b? I haven't looked yet.

Cethern
Cethern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

I have been a professional tire chain installer for 12 years. Believe me, I have seen just about everything.

First off, the last thing in the world you want while driving in the snow and ice is a locked rear end. If you are pushing a snow plow or just driving at low speed in really deep snow and close to being stuck then a locked rear end might be ok, but on the road you REALLY want one wheel just rolling along to give you lateral stability. This way if you overpower your traction, only one wheel spins and the second wheel rolls along and keeps you going straight down the road. With a locked rearend, when you break loose, both wheels lose it and you are instantly sideways.
The beauty of an open diff is when you overpower, the wheel with the least traction is the one that breaks loose and the tire with more traction keeps rolling.

I would absolutely stay away from a Detroit locker if you are going to drive in snow and especially ice. The biggest problem I have had is on days when you have just icy patches. You don't run in 4wd because of mostly bare pavement and then you hit an icy patch and the rear end goes sideways. I have a Detroit in my project truck that I am going to remove for this very reason and goe to a selective locker. Eaton makes an electric locker that does not require an air compressor.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up and dirty side down.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
Destructo

I have a gov-lov in my truck which i'm gonna put a real locker in, but I noticed the first time this year our roads got slick if I nail the gas at 35mph and the roads are slick it will lock up and get sideways. Lucky for me I like doing that kind of thing and I don't allow if to get sideways, just back off the throttle as soon as you feel it break loose and it will usually come back in line.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

At 35 it's pretty fun. I discovered that my truck had the Heretofore undocumented ability of flight when I hit an icy spot at about 75 one night. According to NORAD my unauthorized takeoff preceded the ditch landing by a distance roughly equivalent to the Wright Bros first airborne success.
Although the experience would probably make a good ride at Disneyland, I don't recommend it for all ages.

Thanks for validating my point
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
drink2mny

I use to daily drive my blazer with 36's and a detroit. with the shorter wheelbase I can say i have had a couple close calls on slippery roads. I could barely drive in traffic in 2wheel.
Now don't get me wrong I love detroits. nice easy install in a 14FF.but it will have a tendency to throw you side to side when you get on and off the gas, now on slippery roads, your a$$ will probably squeeze your seat when that happens.

just my .02
Old 01-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
GM72K10
Next!

My plow truck has a Locker in it, works great for that job, but like its said here, watch the ice!
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote