The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
Six862m6

Hidden Hitch for GMC (LEAF SPRING) Trucks

Hey guys,

Need some help locating a hitch for my '68 GMC (2WD, 1/2 ton, fleetside, 8' bed). I am only interested in a hidden hitch that I will be able to hide behind my license plate.

Here's the kicker and where I'm having trouble; these are easy to find for the Chevy guys these years that have the coil springs. Us GMC guys still had leaf springs stock in the rear these years. All of the hidden hitches that I am seeing so far say they are only compatible for the coil spring setup and not leaf spring! I find this surprising since they all went back to leaf springs in '73 with the introduction of the square body......

Anyway, is there a vendor on here that sees this and sells one for my truck or can anyone point me in the right direction for one?

Thanks!
David
Old 03-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
Six862m6

Re: Hidden Hitch for GMC (LEAF SPRING) Trucks

I'm not having any luck..... I can't even find anyone that sells hidden hitches for the square bodies (73-88) anymore either. I have a question in to etrailer right now to see if they can get me a center to center width dimension on the bolt holes as well as an overall furthest width dimension for Curt hidden hitch 13932 which is for 99-07 trucks.... if the width is close enough, I can make it work.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
dagnabbitt

I guess I don't know what you mean by "hidden"... or rather how hidden it needs to be. I have a standard, regular old off-the-shelf hitch on my 72 GMC 2500 that goes under the bumper. I think that they are easy to get.

I also coincidentally have exactly what it sounds like you are looking for, something that goes where the license plate goes. I don't have any pics of that but the previous owner of this dock bumper took a standard hitch and modified it in such a way that it is higher than standard. He put a hitch-sized hole in the license plate so you could use it that way. I haven't looked at the welds to see if I would trust it, but it might be the way to go: get a standard one and then cut and weld.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I guess I don't know what you mean by "hidden"... or rather how hidden it needs to be. I have a standard, regular old off-the-shelf hitch on my 72 GMC 2500 that goes under the bumper. I think that they are easy to get.

I also coincidentally have exactly what it sounds like you are looking for, something that goes where the license plate goes. I don't have any pics of that but the previous owner of this dock bumper took a standard hitch and modified it in such a way that it is higher than standard. He put a hitch-sized hole in the license plate so you could use it that way. I haven't looked at the welds to see if I would trust it, but it might be the way to go: get a standard one and then cut and weld.
Yea, you have the idea. I did finally find one and just purchased it, it looks like the one shown in the picture I've attached. My truck has a roll pan in the back and I plan on cutting a hole in the metal behind the plate and mounting a flip up license plate mount for when I actually use the truck to tow something. Being that I have a roll pan, I didn't really want the visible hitch showing.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
dagnabbitt

Where'd you buy it?
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Where'd you buy it?
A seller named chassis_tech on ebay.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
Six862m6

Just figured I'd make a finished product post on this thread. I am pretty happy on how the hitch came out. Can't hardly even tell I have one when behind the truck.

I realize the hole cut in the license plate area is pretty ugly but I was cutting from the back side (had to, there was the back of the roll pan that had to get cut through and you can't see it with the license plate mount/plate in place anyway so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I elected to mount the trailer wire hookups vertically as it keeps them hidden as well. May be a slight inconvenience when going to hook up the trailer but I don't plan on towing a whole lot anyway. Used an adapter from one of the major classic parts retailers (forget which one at this point) to hook into the wiring where the rear light harness connects to the intermediate body harness. Basically as few wire splices as possible.

I also have a hidden trailer brake setup where you can't see the module (up under the dash) and the LED control knob is hidden in the glove box. Again, not the most convenient location for daily use but I don't anticipate hardly every using trailer brakes.... just wanted the option if I needed it.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #8
1968 K20

Nice lookin small logo GMC tailgate, hitch looks good
1968 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote