The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
61hawk

A/C Capillary Tube off Expansion Valve Location

I have a '65 Chevy C10 with factory air. I just got my A/C unit put back in and then read in the service manual that the capillary tube should be attached to the output tube on the evaporator. Of course I didn't put it there, I put it on the inlet tube between the expansion valve and the evaporator core (I replaced the one on my Jeep Grand Wagoneer and that's where it was taped to). I wrapped the whole thing in the tar type wrap.

The question I have is it going to be worth it to pull everything back out and move it to the outlet tube? The strange thing is my Jeep has it on the Inlet tube after the expansion valve, my Studebaker Hawk had it stuck between the fins on the evaporator core, and Chevy says to put it on the outlet tube. Which makes me wonder, does it really matter where it's located inside the box.

I really don't want to have to move it, but now is the time to do it if I need to.

Thanks.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: A/C Capillary Tube off Expansion Valve Location

My aftermarket unit is between the fins on the evaporator core, so I don't know. Can you move it once the unit is pressurized? To see if it will make a difference?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #3
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
My aftermarket unit is between the fins on the evaporator core, so I don't know. Can you move it once the unit is pressurized? To see if it will make a difference?

I ended up pulling the whole unit tonight after realizing that I had the long tube between the expansion valve and evaporator core upside down so the expansion valve was up top... no wonder we ended up drilling a new hold in the firewall. After looking at the picture I now have it set up correctly. Holy crap is that inlet tube hard to get in.. I realized it goes through the hole with the little metal tube that sticks through the firewall and can only be tightened in the long slot that the outlet tube goes in. Only problem is the inlet tube sticks out through the hole (had to take the tube off the housing) at about a 45 degree angle. Didn't even put the tar wrap around anything... figured it didn't have it from the factory so it's one less thing to fight when tightening the inlet tube to the expansion valve.

I'm sure I'm in for another fight tomorrow. I'd like to bend that inlet tube about 45 degrees so it sticks straight out the hole. I really hope the o-rings are sealed on everything.

Last edited by 61hawk; 03-21-2022 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:44 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Well I'm glad one issue is fixed.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Well I'm glad one issue is fixed.
EDIT - I'm an idiot.

Last edited by 61hawk; 03-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
61hawk

Sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that you're an idiot... but I did get the capillary tube moved to where Chevy says it needs to be.