The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
Detroit steel

i removed windshield ,can i re-use the weatherstrip or should i replace it ?

the windshield was busted , i removed it without damaging the seal but before i replace the glass with the used seal im curious whether i should replace it anyways . dont like to do things twice and definitely dont want to have to pull the new windshield and run the risk of damaging it in the process . 1972 C-10
Detroit steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #2
57larry

Re: i removed windshield ,can i re-use the weatherstrip or should i replace it ?

I would put a new one in
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: i removed windshield ,can i re-use the weatherstrip or should i replace it ?

Definitely a new one. If your old seal was original, it's 50-year-old rubber.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
68 C10 Driver

I concur, get a new seal. The old one will likely be very stiff if not hard to the point it will crack.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
notsolo

I reused all glass weatherstrip on my Blazer, Lock doc I think had a post about mixing wintergreen oil and xylene.....applied after the gaskets are cleaned with soap and water. This makes them soft and ply able again....I did mine 10 yrs ago still in good condition not dried out.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
bry593

Aftermarket windshield weatherstrip does not fit correctly. Ask anyone who has actually installed a windshield their opinion. Those are the guys to listen to. I'd say if your original is still pliable, then reuse it.

Curious about this wintergreen oil. What the heck is that?
Old 04-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

My seal was original to the truck. When I cleaned up the roof and painted it prior to the installation of the cabover camper shell, I cut the old one out, as it was hard as a rock. I bought a new one from LMC; it works fine.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
Orange71shorty

My original was in great shape so I washed it thoroughly with hot soap and water and re hydrated it with Vaseline. Look perfect ten years later
Orange71shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #10
notsolo

Leon aka Loc Doc, his original post goes back to 2006, also a problem then replacement rubber not fitting, I bought Wintergreen oil 4 oz bottle and mixed 50/50 with xylene as recommended. ...you will need some heavy duty gloves, it eats right thru nitrile gloves.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Detroit steel

i believe the one i pulled out was aftermarket and still very soft , the guy who owned it before i got it must have replaced it but im not gonna take a chance . order a new one tonight . thanks for the reply .
Old 04-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #12
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit steel View Post
i believe the one i pulled out was aftermarket and still very soft , the guy who owned it before i got it must have replaced it but im not gonna take a chance . order a new one tonight . thanks for the reply .
just my 2 cents worth but i had a new windshield put in my 72 truck last fall,and took a new rubber in case they needed it.they used it and did a horrible job,it didn't fit well,the stainless trim didn't fit in the seal.i complained and went back with the original rubber all cleaned up and they did it again,a much better job with the original seal.having said that,how much was the guys doing it and how much was the repro seal?i guess i'd use a new one,if you had no choice but mine lived to fight another day so i was happy with that.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #13
Detroit steel

the one that was in there was in real nice shape and i was careful not to damage it when i pulled the glass but i did notice some streaks where water was getting behind the seal , not sure if there is a easy solution to stop that ? thanks for replying , your 2cents is appreciated .
Old 04-07-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
Peanut74

Here is a thread where I asked the same question and also about the install:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php

In short the consensus was if the old gasket was good reuse it. This was especially true if you where installing the chrome trim. As for a new gasket the one of choice is the one from Precision. That is what I used for my new windshield install that also used the trim ring.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #15
1967-C10

suggestions for replacement Window rubber ?
Brand ?
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I reused all glass weatherstrip on my Blazer, Lock doc I think had a post about mixing wintergreen oil and xylene.....applied after the gaskets are cleaned with soap and water. This makes them soft and ply able again....I did mine 10 yrs ago still in good condition not dried out.
Wow, that is a neat trick, thanks for that insight! Too bad I already removed mine and bought new. Tossed the old ones out sometime in 2020.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #17
Peanut74

Precision Rubber seems to be the brand the professional installers like the best.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #18
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
Precision Rubber seems to be the brand the professional installers like the best.
Just had my front window installed. The Precision gasket worked nicely. Chrome sits flat. Installers liked the gasket. I would ask the installer what they prefer.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:37 PM   #19
Detroit steel

that looks good , i think im gonna order the precision seal