The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
1970-c10

How much grease in the wheel hub?

I'm replacing front wheel bearings on a 1970 C-10. There was significant grease in the wheel hub itself when I pulled it off (the space was maybe 1/3 full). I don't see any mention of putting grease in the wheel hub in the service manual. Any thoughts about whether I should put grease in the wheel hub (and how much) before I put this thing back together? Also...any idea on the correct torque on the spindle nut?
Thanks!

Last edited by 1970-c10; 04-09-2022 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
1970-c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
dsy1

Re: How much grease in the wheel hub?

You want to fully pack the bearing, but extra grease left in the bearing cap or hub doesn't really help any.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Go here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=hatzie and download the manual for your truck. It covers what you are asking and just about everything else you need to know about your truck.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Bigdav160

I've never seen grease in the hub migrate into the bearings.

It's a waste of grease
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Greasey Harley

Grease in the cap can help seal the cap against water infiltration. If it's not a boat trailer or a serious off road vehicle, you could probably go without.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:54 AM   #6
Richard

Grease goes in the bearing, not the hub. Someone older and wiser than me in my past said that packing extra grease actually does nothing but hold more heat in that area. Would not worry about a bit extra from the bearings in the hub. Just make sure bearing is packed well.

As far as tightening the spindle nut. I do it by feel. Still spins fairly easy but there is no movement. It can help if you put tire on before final set. The larger diameter of the tire lets you get more leverage to check the movement.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #7
cj847

On tightening the nut. I find that people leave them too loose. With the wheel on, tighten till there is significant resistance to turning, then back off until it turns freely. Double check by "wiggling" the tire top and bottom. Must be zero play. Do the wiggle check again in about 500 miles.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
68Gold/white

Ah, my take on the subject is different. The inner and outer bearings, reside INSIDE the hub. Between the 2 bearings there is a space. I completely pack my bearings, putting a liberal amount of grease INSIDE of the bearings and between the seal a inner bearing AND apply as much as possible around the nut/cap area before installing.

I do NOT fill the inner cavity/space with grease, BUT try to make sure some extra grease is around each bearing on the insides of each bearing.

Bearing grease is obviously a lubricant, but also dissipates heat, regardless of how much grease is in there. The amount of heat generated inside a hub is huge. I don’t Believe having a few cents worth of extra grease hurts anything. I believe it could be beneficial if a vehicle is in an emergency situation where a extreme amount of heat is building in the rotor or drum hub. I believe that wasting grease is a good thing. When I grease U joints I pump them full or grease until I see grease coming out of each cup. There’s no way to know that that the needle bearings in each cup has grease, until you actually see it. There’s an unwritten rule when greasing U joints, to apply 2 pumps, and call it good. Two pumps may not lube the 4 cups of ANY U joint...

Whatever amount of grease in the hub, will stay there, as long as the inner seal doesn’t wear out and the outer grease cap stays installed.

The bearing nut HAS to have SOME loseness when installed to compensate for expansion when heat soaked. The larger aand heavier the vehicle, the more installation clearance is needed. Not more than a 1/4 turn, though.

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 04-10-2022 at 10:19 AM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Ah, my take on the subject is different. The inner and outer bearings, reside INSIDE the hub. Between the 2 bearings there is a space. I completely pack my bearings, putting a liberal amount of grease INSIDE of the bearings and between the seal a inner bearing AND apply as much as possible around the nut/cap area before installing.

I do NOT fill the inner cavity/space with grease, BUT try to make sure some extra grease is around each bearing on the insides of each bearing.

Bearing grease is obviously a lubricant, but also dissipates heat, regardless of how much grease is in there. The amount of heat generated inside a hub is huge. I don’t Believe having a few cents worth of extra grease hurts anything. I believe it could be beneficial if a vehicle is in an emergency situation where a extreme amount of heat is building in the rotor or drum hub. I believe that wasting grease is a good thing. When I grease U joints I pump them full or grease until I see grease coming out of each cup. There’s no way to know that that the needle bearings in each cup has grease, until you actually see it. There’s an unwritten rule when greasing U joints, to apply 2 pumps, and call it good. Two pumps may not lube the 4 cups of ANY U joint...

Whatever amount of grease in the hub, will stay there, as long as the inner seal doesn’t wear out and the outer grease cap stays installed.
This is exactly the way I was taught.

I also learned to use Marine grease in 4-wheel drive bearings.

I make sure it is free and clear of all other grease.
It is not compatible with some other types.
Marine grease does not play well with others.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #10
jabborabbo

I distinctly remember the phrase “pack the wheel hubs” when I was growing up…I thought it meant bearings, races, hubs, etc., but it doesn’t (as I found out when I got older).

Last edited by jabborabbo; 04-10-2022 at 11:25 AM.
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
toolboxchev

You can pack a little extra in the hubs, it doesn't hurt in case of catastrophic heat.

The outer smaller bearing takes most of the beating in wear and tear. I always fill the cap and pressure fit the grease into that one.

It was evident to me as the next time it came due just about every spec of grease in there was dirty. We like to over do things a little in this area. It cant hurt.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote