The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
dhunt00c

Brake Hose Debaucle

OK, Need some guidance. I'll try and be brief.

My truck is a 68 Short Stepside - power nothing from factory.

Years ago, installed CPP disc brake conversion kit and ran with basic original non-power master cylinder. At that time, also installed new stainless steel brake lines. All good.

Fast forward, I'm working on rest of my build and installing new power brake booster, had an issue with one of the CPP calipers during bleeding and had to replace.

1) Ended up buying 2 new calipers for 72 Chevy truck. The hoses I had from CPP kit would not work as they had a smaller diameter at the banjo fitting.

2) Bought 2 new 72 Chevy truck brake hoses. Banjo diameter problem solved and drivers side hose worked fine, but the passenger side hose has a larger diameter fitting that connects to the hard brake line so the passenger side won't fit. Verified that the DL and PSGR side brake lines have a different fitting.

Anyone experienced this? Do i need a fitting that converts the small hard line to the larger flex line fitting? New/Different stainless cross line?

Right now I hooked it up with 2 drivers side hoses, but I don't feel comfortable with it being "rigged" like that when it's the braking system, plus it doesn't bend correctly.

Any help is much appreciated! I've done these brakes like 3 times over! I want to get it done right, once and for all.

Thanks!
dhunt00c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Brake Hose Debaucle

This is a new one on me. I was under the impression the differences was in the angle of the fittings not the hole diameter. Is it possible you received an incorrect caliper?

Another issue is the 72 hoses connect in front of the cross-member and the 68 has the connection on the rear of the cross-member. I have the factory hoses that were included with the CPP kit. I didn't use them as they had interference issues everywhere.
Getting something I was satisfied with on the front brake hoses was a hassle. I ended up converting my flexible hose connection point to the front like stock. You should be able to get yours to work with the rear connection points as others have. Pictures would help.
Pictured below is the stock hoses for a 72.

Opps, I didn't read your posting close enough. You are conserned about the other end, not the caliper side. I know it's the same size lines, on both sides, on my truck
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 04-12-2022 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added info
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
leftybass209

I stumbled on a thread where someone just used an adapter to reduce/enlarge the orifice. It'd just be a matter of matching up the right diameter and thread size.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #4
Caddylackn

When I order brake hoses or power steering hoses online I use Napa Auto online for reference since they will put a picture of each hose end along with the size and thread pitch, od, or id. That way if I don't know the exact year of what I need, I can quickly view a few different years and figure it out.

If they are reasonable in price I will purchase them there.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
mr.mud1

I should be out by my truck before I open my mouth but I went through a struggle with brake hoses for my 72 Cheyenne Super 20 truck.i bought several pairs of hoses and all were too short.1/2 ton hoses I think?anyway i finally got hoses from a man in Michigan.i do remember both ends were,as the pictures provided by Accelo show,at the ends that hook up to the hard lines,both different and each hose had a different sized inverted nut as I recall
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote