The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
GOPAPA

Passenger side window rolls

down not to hard to do ,,but up is more than my wife will ever get it done. Is there a way to slickin up the window guides ..I mean the felt hairy guides next to the glass . I put grease in the slides below the windouw and also on the teeth that is inside the door panel that goes to the window handle
Old 04-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
sick472

Re: Passenger side window rolls

Greasing the tracks would be a band-aid at best. I suspect that one, or a couple, of the tracks needs some adjustment so that the glass does not bind in the hairy guides while going up.

If the window rolls down easy, chances are the regulator is good. You can test this by gently pulling up in the glass while your wife rolls it up. If that makes easy like it should be, then the regulator should be in decent shape. Adjusting the tracks can be a tricky, but with some patience and some back and forth, it can be done.

More times than not for me, a hard to roll up window meant that a roller or two had failed as was rubbing or binding in the track. Check those too.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Greasing the tracks would be a band-aid at best. I suspect that one, or a couple, of the tracks needs some adjustment so that the glass does not bind in the hairy guides while going up.

If the window rolls down easy, chances are the regulator is good. You can test this by gently pulling up in the glass while your wife rolls it up. If that makes easy like it should be, then the regulator should be in decent shape. Adjusting the tracks can be a tricky, but with some patience and some back and forth, it can be done.

More times than not for me, a hard to roll up window meant that a roller or two had failed as was rubbing or binding in the track. Check those too.
thanks,, I will test out the steps you have giving me.. I did not notice when I had the door panel off ,how the rails are fastened ,, They must have screws holding them and not tacked on the door metal .. ?
Old 04-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
sick472

I have not worked on my 85 window tracks, but the few vehicles I have worked on had slop in the holes or slots that allow the tracks to be move a bit here or there to help alignment of the glass. Most of the alignment is in the tracks that the glass rides in. Pay attention to worn out rollers, that is the main reason for binding.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 04-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
rick1956

I would differ on the 'regulator is in good shape' comment, but only based on my past experiences.
Every time I have had that particular problem happen to a vehicle I've owned it HAS been the regulator. The pinion hole gets 'wallered' out and the pinion gear cocks slightly and binds the gear up.
Going down: no problem, no resistance. Going up is like you trying to back a trailer up with the trailer brakes on.
Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1956 View Post
I would differ on the 'regulator is in good shape' comment, but only based on my past experiences...
Good point Rick, I agree that my comment was based on experience too. It seems that the couple regulators that I have had go bad were due to broken springs or busted rollers.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20