The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #1
j_cst_10

What is the value of a real Cheyenne Super short bed

My confusion on the current market comes from the fact that there are so many fraudulent trucks on the auction sites and there are even more resto mod cut down long beds. So does it really matter if a truck is authentic or not? It's not an LS6 Chevelle or a Hemi roadrunner. It's a short bed with some wood grain accents.

My main reason for this post is that I have uncovered a real 72 Cheyenne short bed 2wd truck and I potentially have the opportunity to purchase it but the owner wants a good chunk of change for a non running truck that isn't perfect.

Sheet metal is good beyond some outer rocker issues and lower tailgate issues. Interior is original and intact along with the paint being mostly original but not in great shape and has most likely had some touch up at some point.

Condition is a big factor but any thoughts on a non running somewhat original short bed super acceptable range? The easy answer is what someone is willing to pay!
Attached Images

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: What is the value of a real Cheyenne Super short bed

In the Corvette world originals, that can be documented, go for a premium. It isn't as prevalent in the C10 world but it still exists. I like everything about that truck.
I think it would bring big dollars restored
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
tutone

Every thing in your post answers all your Qs.
1.Its not an LS6 Z28 or Superbird
Its a higher optioned C10
2. Its a "real" 115" wheel base
Mine I cut down and its also 115
3. You think hes stiff on the price
Only option is talk him down
4. Good GM used tailgates are high
Fix that one and you spend days at it
5. Rust is universal
Make sure it is budgeted for
6. Is it a Big block? Cha-ching
7. Is it a 350? Not so much
Bottom line, the 115 on the SPID does account for something at resale time and that guy knows it. Can you live with the fact that it costs the same or more to restore a Cheyenne as it does a Custom Deluxe? Aftermarket chrome fits like crap in many instances, so NOS GM parts on certain things may be your best option.
I always take this attitude to the seller. "Is this gonna be a "forever" truck?"
Or Is this gonna be one to work on and keep a few years and sell later?
Either way, unless you give him enough to pay off his house, you probably will be ok in the long run. A factory swb in any trim will fetch some what better money. Also one more thing, look at the price tags on early gen camaros, mopar muscle cars, base or not, I feel these trucks are headed in the same direction, price wise. Good luck to you.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Every thing in your post answers all your Qs.
1.Its not an LS6 Z28 or Superbird
Its a higher optioned C10
2. Its a "real" 115" wheel base
Mine I cut down and its also 115
3. You think hes stiff on the price
Only option is talk him down
4. Good GM used tailgates are high
Fix that one and you spend days at it
5. Rust is universal
Make sure it is budgeted for
6. Is it a Big block? Cha-ching
7. Is it a 350? Not so much
Bottom line, the 115 on the SPID does account for something at resale time and that guy knows it. Can you live with the fact that it costs the same or more to restore a Cheyenne as it does a Custom Deluxe? Aftermarket chrome fits like crap in many instances, so NOS GM parts on certain things may be your best option.
I always take this attitude to the seller. "Is this gonna be a "forever" truck?"
Or Is this gonna be one to work on and keep a few years and sell later?
Either way, unless you give him enough to pay off his house, you probably will be ok in the long run. A factory swb in any trim will fetch some what better money. Also one more thing, look at the price tags on early gen camaros, mopar muscle cars, base or not, I feel these trucks are headed in the same direction, price wise. Good luck to you.
Good point. I think the guy wants too much but what I like about the truck is that is mostly original and even has an intact hounds tooth seat cover. I like buying things that haven't been manipulated too much. This one has that going for it minus the 80's touches of a cut dash for a cassette deck and some huge speakers cut into the doors.

I am trying to simultaneously talk myself into and out of the truck haha.

I really didn't know if it was worth any additional value being a true Super short bed with all the stuff it's supposed to have (wood grain interior pieces, chrome tailgate handle cover, hounds tooth bench etc). It might to a fanatic which there are plenty but maybe not to the general population.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
dagnabbitt

I love that paint combo.

There will always be a market for chopped restomods, and there will always be a market for true, original, well-optioned shortbeds. I think it is a mistake to look at them as the same market.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I love that paint combo.

There will always be a market for chopped restomods, and there will always be a market for true, original, well-optioned shortbeds. I think it is a mistake to look at them as the same market.
I definitely do not think the market is the same but to me is it is hard to put a valuation on it.

I think if I were to narrow my inquiry further it would be....Is there a premium for an original Cheyenne Super verses a comparably similar truck? This is something I truly don't know. I would think a little but not a lot all things being equal.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cst_10 View Post
I definitely do not think the market is the same but to me is it is hard to put a valuation on it.

I think if I were to narrow my inquiry further it would be....Is there a premium for an original Cheyenne Super verses a comparably similar truck? This is something I truly don't know. I would think a little but not a lot all things being equal.
I'll dodge that question by saying that availability and pricing is an extremely regional thing. All I know about Cheyanne Super SWBs is that I have never ever seen one in person. In my market they do not exist. I personally think that they are worth significantly more than a regular SWB, and as mentioned above, they don't cost much more to restore than a plain Jane.

Good luck with the purchase, and if you post some pics I am sure you will get some more opinions!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 05-04-2022 at 02:31 PM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #8
Caddylackn

Ask your self this:
Are you sure you want this?

If it is a forever truck and you pay a premium, will you drive it after you get $30k - $40k into it, and it is valued at $50k?

If the value of this goes the Camaro, Corvette market route, then this becomes a garage queen that rarely gets driven.

I used to see a lot of nice 68, 69 camaros driving around and 60s corvettes ripping up the streets and highways in the 80s and 90s. Now you rarely see one unless in a car show or a classic car cruise. It isn't like 20,000 of these nice cars were destroyed. They are all in climate controlled garages and never get driven and when they do drive the owners drive like grandmas in them. A '63 corvette was my dream car as a kid. Now, no way would I spend that much for a car I would never drive.

If you are happy with a garage queen, then go for it. If you want to make this a semi-daily driver, than I do not think you would be happy unless you were willing to keep it as it is in patina.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
tutone

I like the last post. Here is a couple more things to ponder on.
In 2016 I had a nice unrestored white/ochre/white ps/brake non air factory swb 3rd owner. Just a good old truck, nothing fancy, but straight and mostly org paint. Like you, I kicked it around for six months and made a move. I bought in at 6500 or so, spent a few hundred on it and drove the crap out of it. Dig through some of my posts back then and you can see it. Soooo... The rod run came up that fall in Pigeon Forge and there was a Super , same color, same wheels only a BB auto, fully restored and documented. It was 39,995 asking price. I pulled up in mine and I couldnt see 33 grand difference. Never restored it because that really isn't me, but if mine looked just like it, I am afraid it would have only been a 20-25K truck.
Olive combos are hard to beat.
Last thing and I will say and then shut up. People are prone to faking Supers. And you would have a real one .
If you pull the trigger, we want to see it.
PS added a couple of pictures
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71

Last edited by tutone; 05-06-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added photos
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #10
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I like the last post. Here is a couple more things to ponder on.
In 2016 I had a nice unrestored white/ochre/white ps/brake non air factory swb 3rd owner. Just a good old truck, nothing fancy, but straight and mostly org paint. Like you, I kicked it around for six months and made a move. I bought in at 6500 or so, spent a few hundred on it and drove the crap out of it. Dig through some of my posts back then and you can see it. Soooo... The rod run came up that fall in Pigeon Forge and there was a Super , same color, same wheels only a BB auto, fully restored and documented. It was 39,995 asking price. I pulled up in mine and I couldnt see 33 grand difference. Never restored it because that really isn't me, but if mine looked just like it, I am afraid it would have only been a 20-25K truck.
Olive combos are hard to beat.
Last thing and I will say and then shut up. People are prone to faking Supers. And you would have a real one .
If you pull the trigger, we want to see it.

So you're saying I should just stop torturing myself and everyone on the board and just get it? Ok.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

How much does he want for it ? Do you have any pictures ? It doesn't run , it has rust , Your really not giving anyone a good idea of what it is and the condition . Could be $5,000.00 or $25,000.00 it's anyone's guess until you post some real pictures and price ...

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
I used to see a lot of nice 68, 69 camaros driving around and 60s corvettes ripping up the streets and highways in the 80s and 90s. Now you rarely see one unless in a car show or a classic car cruise. It isn't like 20,000 of these nice cars were destroyed. They are all in climate controlled garages and never get driven and when they do drive the owners drive like grandmas in them. A '63 corvette was my dream car as a kid. Now, no way would I spend that much for a car I would never drive.
This reality is so sad. It has ruined the hobby of muscle cars for me; they're too valuable to drive just like a normal car, and they are completely priced out for a lot of younger folks who just wanna get into the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
How much does he want for it ? Do you have any pictures ? It doesn't run , it has rust , Your really not giving anyone a good idea of what it is and the condition . Could be $5,000.00 or $25,000.00 it's anyone's guess until you post some real pictures and price ...
Well said.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #13
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Grumpy- I respect your opinion I’m a long time member and read daily. I don’t have any pictures was caught by surprise honestly. I know these trucks very well and when I say outer rocker and lower tailgate rust issues I mean that’s it’s. Drip rail is good, doors are good, fender cups, cab structure etc.

If I had pictures it would look good but it’s a different story in person. However the vehicle has good bones and a good original interior.

Guy wants $15k.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #14
Accelo

In my area, The Pacific North West that would qualify as "reasonable priced". It would sell in a day.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:01 PM   #15
leddzepp

What it’s worth depends entirely on where you sell it.

BAT, Mecum, Barrett Jackson = big bucks

Facebook pages, Craigslist, OfferUp = getting ridiculed and being told if you want big bucks go sell it at BAT, Mecum, or Barrett Jackson.

Speculate and ponder all you want, that’s the truth.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:05 PM   #16
Grumpy old man

The 1st of the month is always the best time to buy any big ticket item IF your paying cash and $15,000.00 is a big ticket when you can't hear it run , If you really want it wave $12,000.00 in CASH in front of his face , You can always go up but 12 K is a lot if it doesn't run and I'd tell him just that . when your the guy selling always list your item in the middle of the month when guys have more cash in their pocket You have to think as if it's going to need an engine and take those costs right off the top of what he's asking , Add tires/ brakes/ etc and a bunch of little stuff and your getting closer to $20,000.00 fast . then body work and paint and we all know what that can cost and how long it takes even if you send it out , Now your getting closer to $35,000.00 and your a couple years in and never drove it ? Now $10,000.00 sounds a whole lot better doesn't it ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:43 PM   #17
jocko

unless it's a rust-bucket, the price isn't too far off - and yes, you're paying that extra several thou of a premium for a real Cheyenne Super swb. If YOU personally don't care if it's a real Cheyenne Super or swb - then it's probably not worth the extra several thousand you're paying for what the SPID says that 95% of buyers don't care about (I'm in the 5% some days, the 95% other days) But without pictures, without an understanding of why it isn't running, everyone - including me, is guessing at this. Non-running could mean anything from the battery is dead to a rod is hanging out of the block. I'll say this much - the Custom Two Tone paint does add value, 557 is not common it looks awesome.
IF the engine is the original (or could be) and is repairable,
and
IF the body doesn't have much more than surface rust or the usual rocker rot,
then price is probably pretty fair for what the truck will be when repaired.
It just comes down to what you want and the condition. Personally, a 557 swb super is a bit of a grail truck in my opinion, even if it's not a big block. But I still can't tell you if I'd want to spend that much until I saw at least a few pics. Whatever happens - nice find and good luck!

Let me tell you a story... I passed on a 72 Super swb big block mainly because the seller refused to let me crank the engine when I was there in person. BUT, the price was fair even if it needed a total rebuild. I passed the info on to a fellow member, he bought it, and it started and ran just fine (seller truly was just worried about damaging it because it hadn't been cranked in years - I had a great relationship with the seller, he was a great guy) - he had his fun with it and sold it and, I'd imagine, he made a decent penny on it. I've regretted not buying that truck every since. Solid ochre too...

Last edited by jocko; 05-04-2022 at 10:49 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
j_cst_10

All good advice. I have regretted not buying vehicles more than I have regretted buying them. This vehicle isn't technically for sale online or anything. I stumbled upon it and knocked on the guys door and talked to older gentleman for a while.

He was in a recliner taking his blood pressure and had an oxygen tube around his nose. After speaking with him for a while it was clear he was no push over and was a big truck fanatic back in his prime. His health had let some of his price possessions go down hill. Sounds like it would be a scam if it were online but this was all real life.

I'll wave some cash in front of him and then resort to begging haha.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #19
Joyridin

For $15k, it is probably worth it. I paid $13.5k for my 68 CST and it was in decent shape with a hacked in 454 BBC. Trucks are hard unless you know exactly what you want. Everything can be replaced easily with new and you could build a brand new laid-out truck from the ground up these days.

Tell him $13k, but I would probably pay $!5k if the body wasn't to rotted.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

To a true truck guy, a real deal truck is just as important as Vettes and muscle cars are to those guys. Authenticity matters across the board on any classic vehicle. As far as comparing dollars to any other truck, probably doesn't make much difference since so many in the market just care how well it turned out. But a true SWB YE9 is a cream of the crop truck that is certainly worth more bucks. Being an investment has never been a concern of mine. I'd pay more just because that's what I want

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #21
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
Ask your self this:
Are you sure you want this?

If it is a forever truck and you pay a premium, will you drive it after you get $30k - $40k into it, and it is valued at $50k?

If the value of this goes the Camaro, Corvette market route, then this becomes a garage queen that rarely gets driven.

If you are happy with a garage queen, then go for it. If you want to make this a semi-daily driver, than I do not think you would be happy unless you were willing to keep it as it is in patina.
I agree that some people are reluctant to drive their cars . I on the other hand drive my SS anytime I can . Already put 500 miles on it this year ,to me it's a car not a piece of art .

OP the swb and super make it more desirable than a plain Jane truck . If you like it and can afford it then buy it . Without seeing the whole truck I really cant comment about the price .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #22
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
To a true truck guy, a real deal truck is just as important as Vettes and muscle cars are to those guys. Authenticity matters across the board on any classic vehicle. As far as comparing dollars to any other truck, probably doesn't make much difference since so many in the market just care how well it turned out. But a true SWB YE9 is a cream of the crop truck that is certainly worth more bucks. Being an investment has never been a concern of mine. I'd pay more just because that's what I want
Good advice. I guess the other secondary question to all this is do I want it? I viewed it as a rare truck that I have the opportunity to own. I may not be so lucky to find another one that isn't $40k and I wouldn't spend that much on my hobby.

My interest tends to lean towards the heavy duty versions of this truck and I already own a 72 Super C20 Custom Camper. I bought this when they weren't worth the crazy dollars they are now. I even sold the factory BB set up out of it to a guy who put it in a Nova ughhh probably shouldn't have done that.

I plan on swinging by the guys place today again. I'll bring cash and see if I can get it for a little less and at that time I can make the judgment call of offering full boat or letting it sit in hopes the guy reconsiders. It's not for sale publicly but you never know. I may have invigorated him to think about selling.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #23
jocko

So, this sheds a new light on your dilemma.. if you are a 3/4 and 1 ton sorta guy, as am I - it comes down to your intent.. flip? keep? sleep better? who knows - but everyone has a unique financial situation. I've come to the point in life where I only buy one if I at least intend to keep it forever. Granted, I don't always stick to that intent, but I know I'll probably never buy another 1/2 ton truck from this era (famous last words...). NOT because I don't like them (I love em), but solely because I like 3/4 tons better. Good luck with your decision (and I kinda hope you get it so we can all drool over it).
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #24
j_cst_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
So, this sheds a new light on your dilemma.. if you are a 3/4 and 1 ton sorta guy, as am I - it comes down to your intent.. flip? keep? sleep better? who knows - but everyone has a unique financial situation. I've come to the point in life where I only buy one if I at least intend to keep it forever. Granted, I don't always stick to that intent, but I know I'll probably never buy another 1/2 ton truck from this era (famous last words...). NOT because I don't like them (I love em), but solely because I like 3/4 tons better. Good luck with your decision (and I kinda hope you get it so we can all drool over it).
Interestingly I was in the same boat as you. I started off with a 70 CST half ton long bed (hence my name on here) and have owned several in this configuration, a 68 K10 - should have not sold, ultimately landing on my C20 which I love. I went as far as to sell off all my 1/2 ton stockpile of suspension parts and wheels citing I wouldn't own another halfer.

I guess I never expected to be in the situation of stumbling over one that I would be considering buying.

I'll give the guy a call and see if I can stop by today or this weekend. I'd like to give the truck an other look without my heart racing as in the last time.

My initial scan was good on the truck which I tend to look for rot, missing pieces, originality issues etc but does not include stepping back and looking at it as a whole. I know that I wake up every day and go ....man I should just buy the damn thing and figure out what I'm doing with it later.

Then I would need to sneak it in my already overfilled stockpile of vehicles and tell the wife I picked it up for a "real good deal".

Old 05-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #25
jimijam00

Since this guy doesn't even have the truck up for sale, you even approaching him shows just how bad you want it. People that want things bad enough make emotional decisions. Owners that get whiff of how bad a buyer wants something have all the leverage.

At the end of the day, it's only worth what you and the seller agree on. Asking people on a forum is a waste of time.

Last edited by jimijam00; 05-06-2022 at 11:41 AM.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote