The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
thenewminator

My next project. A '63 C10 short bed. AKA "in over my head?"

Hey guys. Just taking a minute to share some pics and info on my next project I recently bought from my good bud Ryan for $350. He's had this particular project for a few years, and every time I would come visit we would talk about all of the work it needs and its potential. And yes, I said $350. An amazing deal for sure. But before we get super excited lets delve into the pros and cons of what I do have, and whats missing.

What I scored with this deal;
A really good '62 short bed rolling chassis complete with a square body
front
cross member and an unknown year 6 lug rear end.
A slightly rough but savable hood, core support, and grill shell
A pair of slightly rough but savable doors.
2 cabs.
Cab #1 is a big window cab missing the floor(an issue created 2
owners ago), the cab also has a poorly done rocker panel(also 2 owners
ago)
the cab is pretty rough from just below the windshield down
Cab #2 is a small window cab with the back window and a nice dash.
With the exception of a few small holes up by the firewall the floor
is solid. Overall from just below the windshield down this cab is pretty
good. From the windshield up is where the trouble begins. The inner roof
skin is pretty rough, and the brow and windshield channel is a complete
loss.

In summary I'm starting with a rolling chassis needing little work, 1/2 of a front clip, 2 doors, and 2 cabs with issues just opposite of each other. One would think that the simple solution to would be to remove the floor from cab #2 and weld it into cab #1. However every time I made that suggestion to my bud he reminded that the owner prior to him attempted to replace the rockers WITHOUT the floor in place. So now the cab isnt square, and trying to make it square again would be very difficult at best. Which leaves option #2. Replace the very rough top/windshield on cab #2 with the much better top and windshield from cab #1 (and quite probably do a mild chop in the process). Sounds simple enough...unless of course you have never attempted such a feat. I'm even considering something like am sorta ratty, sorta old school lift off canvas top.

As far as what's missing...I'm thinking about making a one off phantom grill and a stake bed, of course I'll need inner and outer fenders. Drivetrain wise I'll probably get my hands on a decent 350/700r4 setup with a decent aftermart EFI setup. However, and unfortunately, the plan for right now is to set it off to side at least till fall while I save my pennies and come up with a definite game plan.