The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
Robert Andrew

Door Glass Insallation

I'm baffled. I installed the one piece window, Nu-Relics electric window operators in my 51 Chevy pickup, along with Altman door latches and the Altman power door lock actuators. Then I purchased the glass run channel kit, and new door glass from LMC or Classic. The glass run channel is approximately 5/8" wide and 5/8" deep. I ruined a couple of the glass run channels trying to get them to bend uniformly without kinking and puckering up, mocked up the glass run channels and installed the glass, and everything was good. But then I tried to install the install the interior door glass garnish molding and the molding would not pull down against the interior of the door. There was gap approximately 1/4" wide. The glass run channels were seated against the exterior of the door frame and there was no way to get it to tighten up and close the gap.

It just so happened that Classic was having their annual truck show in KC, so I went to the show and looked at several other AD trucks which were there. Three or four had used custom cut 5/16" class with no metal frame, which allowed them to use a narrower glass run channel, but I wasn't able to catch any of the owners to ask them why they went that direction.

So, I went home, did some measuring, and it looked as though that might be my solution. The next day, I tracked down a guy to custom cut the glass the same dimensions as the outside dimension of the metal framed windows, $325.00 which hurt the bank, ordered some narrower glass run channels, and assembled that setup. I glued the glass run channel in place with weather strip adhesive, installed the glass, and the damned glass jumps out of the track in the glass run channels, so no worky. The glass won't raise all of the way to seal in the top of the glass run channel either.

I've looked at it from every angle that I can think of, and the perplexing question is why won't it fit back together with the original 5/8" glass run channel and the metal framed windows. I'm baffled, and frustrated as hell.

Right now I've got three cases of dynamite sitting in the bed and I'm trying to decide how long a fuse I need.

I can't be the only person the encounter that problem. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Last edited by Robert Andrew; 08-28-2022 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add picture
Robert Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Door Glass Insallation

You do know that the 51 and up vent wing moldings are Noticeably wider than the 47/50 moldings for one piece glass?

That will cause it to stand off the door that much plus the difference in the thickness of the channel for each style of window.

47/50 original channel is 3/4 of an inch wide while 51/54 channel is 5/8 inch wide.

That is something that I didn't know until a few weeks ago after 49 years of fooling with these trucks.

When I started thinking that I could sacrafice a couple of the batch of 51/53 window moldings I have in the shed to stretch my doors I laid them out an found out that they were wider after someone posted that they were. Now I have to cut up more of my 47/50 moldings than I wanted ot.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 08-28-2022 at 09:56 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #3
mr48chev

I couldn't find my tri square in my mess but dug out a tape and measured the two styles of moldings. The green one is the 51 and later .
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
e015475

I'm sure glad I read this - thanks Mr48chev.

Been trying to get the 3/4" channel to fit my '49 - no bueno.

Looks like I need to order some that's 5/8"
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:26 PM   #5
Robert Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I couldn't find my tri square in my mess but dug out a tape and measured the two styles of moldings. The green one is the 51 and later .
You're a genius. I've about went brain dead trying to figure out what changed.

Thanks for the help!
Robert Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote