The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
CarlsLQ9SS

Looking for leg room

I am 6’1” tall, 250lbs with a bad back. With a previous back surgery and fusion I don’t bend as much as I used too and leg room in my truck is a problem. I love these old trucks and want to keep driving them but since my surgery it’s tough. I have moved the fuel tank under the bed so I have that area behind the seat. I thought about recessing the seat back in the cab but then my head would be closer to the back window. How far could the pedals be moved forward without interfering with the factory inner fenders? I have already moved the steering column forward 2” so I’m wondering if I could move the floor pan forward as well with some fabrication? If so how much could I gain? Any input is appreciated.
Electric speedometer conversion for LS swap,
6.0 with 823 heads and BTR stage 4 truck cam,
4L80e, posi with 3.73 rear end,
Power steering and power brakes
Lowered 5/7. Frame up build.
CarlsLQ9SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Looking for leg room

It’s all a compromise for seating.
Not to insult you but you’re a tiny guy to me. I’m 6’ 4 and 350. Plus bad knees and back. It’s always been a struggle. I’ve always tried to find a better seat. Those from 88-98 Chevy work well.
A possible option is a custom modded bench that fits tighter to the rear of the cab. Might gain you a few inches. Or do like some and build an extended cab.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I agree with the above, the 88-98 (especially the 95-98 buckets) are the most comfortable. They will help some. You may also want to tray a smaller 15" or less) steering wheel to help out. I have a 91 bench seat in mine and it is way better that stock. I am getting ready to put in some 2010 Nissan Frontier cloth buckets in mine fore a bit more support and hopefully comfort/room. I like my DD's Frontier buckets for comfort and long haul and hoping to get similar results in the 70. I am 6'1" about 210 with creaky knees and looking for that extra bit of comfort. Mine is a manual 3 on the tree, so the clutch comes into the formula also.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
cdub2010

None of these leg room discussions ever mention dimensions. I find the truck cabs to be very uncomfortable but im just a tiny 200 lbs and 6 feet tall with a 36" inseam. The stock bench has more than enough head and belly room but no leg room at all. Moving the column closer didn't help it just interfered with my thighs. Tilt column helped as did a smaller steering wheel. I tried moving the pedals closer to the floor so I wouldn't have to lift my legs as much to hit the brakes, never got that done so I sold the truck and bought a Jimmy. Much more comfortable to drive. Im wondering if stock bucket seats offer more leg room?
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Rickjz

Another variable would be to raise the seat up if you have the headroom.
Rickjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

Have you lowered the seat ? I used the full-custom fabrication brackets that lower and move the seat back also got a shorty tilt column . Much better but these trucks are cramped no matter what you do . I go from my 72 into my 85 and it's a night and day difference.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
best view

U can shorten the steering wheel buy 2 inches there are 2 guys on here doing them big difference
best view is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I think there was a thread here years ago where someone flattened out that bump below the rear window and it gave them a little more leg room with the seat being able to go back a smidge. A lot of work for a tiny bit of room. There is only so much room inside of our trucks and unless you do some major work you have to live with it, or get a burb =)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #9
CarlsLQ9SS

I thought about lowering the seat some, I do have bad knees as well and as mentioned above, when going to a newer truck it’s night and day difference. I have my ‘71 truck down to the bare cab and frame again and figured now would be the time to try and make more room. I thought about modifying the back of the cab to set the seat back further and I think any little bit will help but not sure it will be worth all the work. I think it may be easier move the floor pan forward as far as I can and try a different seat.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #10
CarlsLQ9SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Have you lowered the seat ? I used the full-custom fabrication brackets that lower and move the seat back also got a shorty tilt column . Much better but these trucks are cramped no matter what you do . I go from my 72 into my 85 and it's a night and day difference.
Who makes the brackets to lower the seat and move it back?
Old 12-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #11
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsLQ9SS View Post
Who makes the brackets to lower the seat and move it back?
These . I put them in the full back position if I remember there are two sets of holes

https://full-custom-fabrication.squa...ng-brackets/10
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #12
howzzzit

Carl, lowering the seat will probably increase the angle of your legs while sitting. I'm 6'6" and tried the Brothers lowering brackets. The way they are made they lower the seat, but leave a good sized gap between the top of the seat and back of the cab. Don't go back as far as stock. Tried twice and then 100 bucks in the trash can. Don't know about the other brands, but I think by lowering you're going to increase knee bend when sitting.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #13
LS short box

I had VW GTI seats in my 68. Great seats but the seat backs are somewhat thick so to get a comfortable recline you have to move the seat forward reducing leg room. Most late model seats have a thick back rest.
Not cheap but some of the higher end "Pro-Touring" bucket seats have a thinner back rest which would allow moving the seat back.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #14
LS short box

Added pic
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #15
402Bowtie

Another option... One of my favorite mods I've seen done:

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=799841
402Bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:29 AM   #16
402Bowtie

Maybe CG was thinking of this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=176440

There's another thread somewhere that I thought someone removed the tank and then molded the seat back to fit under the gas tank support. Can't find the thread. Maybe I dreamt it.
402Bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #17
old51sedan

Has anyone ever though or tried to install a set of power pedals? As far as I know Ford was the only one to offer them. I had a set in my 2001 truck and a buddy has then in his 2005 truck. There is a switch on the dash to raise or lower both the gas and brake peddles together. I don't believe they would be hard to install in one of our trucks. Ford had them in a lot of vehicles 20 years ago.
old51sedan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #18
Jason Banks

Hey Carl, are you using the DBC throttle body with your stock pedal assembly? Or DBW with electronic pedal?

In my LS swapped truck. I'm using DBW with electronic pedal. I saw a Youtube video one time where the guy said that the "adjustable" pedals have less throw. One of my donor vehicles was a 2003 Suburban with LT trim level that had a pedal that you could adjust in an out. I had my truck set up to use a different pedal because the adjustable was very bulky. I dug the adjustable pedal out and compared and it is a significant difference in pedal travel. I cut and welded on the adjustable pedal and now have a pedal that starts very low to the floor(below the brake pedal low) and ends just above the floor. It has made a huge difference in how comfortable my truck is to drive.

Most of my height is in my legs. 34 inch inseam. My upholstery guy was very careful to keep from making my seat taller and I sit pretty low in the seat. I had told him about using new foam on a different seat made it sit high and firm. Also no tilt column and I don't have the column pushed in.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #19
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Has anyone ever though or tried to install a set of power pedals? As far as I know Ford was the only one to offer them. I had a set in my 2001 truck and a buddy has then in his 2005 truck. There is a switch on the dash to raise or lower both the gas and brake peddles together. I don't believe they would be hard to install in one of our trucks. Ford had them in a lot of vehicles 20 years ago.
My Dodge has them to its a 2007 . But I believe the peddles are drive by wire no mechanical connection .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #20
LNP

I got seat lowering bracekts from Brothers Truck Parts then modified them so the seat itself went all the way back to the rear wall. I too moved the gas tank under the truck. The top of my seat is now a fingers width from the back wall and just below the back glass. I also use a 15in stock looking steering wheel. I am 6ft 300lbs sad to say. All in my stomach too so the steering wheel helped me and with power steering I think it works better. I actually lowered the seat originally to help my wife get in. Besides her being 5,3 she also has hip issues.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #21
LNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Carl, lowering the seat will probably increase the angle of your legs while sitting. I'm 6'6" and tried the Brothers lowering brackets. The way they are made they lower the seat, but leave a good sized gap between the top of the seat and back of the cab. Don't go back as far as stock. Tried twice and then 100 bucks in the trash can. Don't know about the other brands, but I think by lowering you're going to increase knee bend when sitting.
I used them as is first too as was very unhappy plus I couldnt get in the truck with my big a__ stomach. So I refabbed them to let the seat go back.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:35 AM   #22
howzzzit

For 100 bucks you shouldn't have to modify anything. Just my thought. I've already had to modify too many aftermarket Taiwan sheet metal parts.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #23
CarlsLQ9SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post

There's another thread somewhere that I thought someone removed the tank and then molded the seat back to fit under the gas tank support. Can't find the thread. Maybe I dreamt it.
Thank you for digging this out! Great information
Old 12-13-2022, 09:54 AM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
Another option... One of my favorite mods I've seen done:

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=799841
Quote:

Some good info being shared via these links. Brings back some memories.
And.... Some of us have been on here for a day or two.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #25
my67c20

Not being one of the taller folks this thread got me thinking. Gonna make an assumption that just sitting in the seat, there is room, but the issue happens when you need to stop or press the clutch and your knee comes in contact with the steering column or the dash. Not so much an issue with the gas, since it is on the floor. Post #4 (cdub2010) hinted to moving the pedals, so it got me wondering. Digging up some e-bay pictures of the pedal assembly and it appears that you could move the pedal pivot forward and adjust the angle to better align the gas and brake pedal. Of course you would need to make sure that the location allows for complete pedal travel, but seems like a pretty straight forward mod with simple skills. The other part is to bump out the floor of the cab. It appears not much is in the way and the inner fender-well when installed does leave a bit of a gap in that area. Combine this with a seat lowering and you might be able to pick up quite a few inches of space.
Attached Images

my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote