The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2004, 04:53 AM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

good adjustable shocks?

Going to be doing some suspension upgrades to my truck once the bodywork is done (cab corners and rockers, eventually paint). Would like to have adjustable shocks, not the air-inflatable kind but the ones with dials or selectors so that you can "tune-in" for the type of driving or load you will be moving.

Anyone have experience positive/negative with these? What brand/models did you buy? Did you put them on all four corners or just fronts/backs?

I would like to avoid airbags because they are unreliable IMHO and the compressor/tank/valves take up a lot of space.

Last edited by botboy; 01-05-2004 at 04:55 AM.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
Izzy
Trucker.

I'll disagree with bags being unreliable simply for the thousands of big rigs running them for 50+ years.

The best adjustable shocks IMHO are HAL's and Bilsteins.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
67dragtruck

adjustable shocks

I really like the HAL's. I have their promastar coilovers on the back of mine and have run the stocker star ones on the front before my suspension swap in the front. They both work very well. They don't make one that is a direct bolt in for the front, but it is not very difficult to fab a upper shock mount to use a camaro (it think that's what it was) shock which uses the post type upper mount.

Tom
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
bagged91
Out draggin'

I'm with 5-8!

My truck is bagged AND bodydropped. I drive my truck EVERYDAY and have put darn near 9500 miles on it since August. Also, we have had snow, sleet & freezing rain for the last 3 days and I drove it to work all 3 days with NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

If you plan the setup right, you can install an airride setup and not even know it's there just the same as you can install a high quality stereo system. You can hide the tanks under the bed along with the valves & compressor. There is a lot of wasted space under there.....

Also, the HAL shocks are definitely one of the nicest adjustable shocks I've dealt with. Work wonders with taking the bounce out of a cantilevered tri-4 link......
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote