The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2023, 04:31 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Little job is now a bigger job

My temp sensor on my 66 c10 with a 250 never worked so I got one and decided to change it out today. Took the old one out and started threading the new one in and as I was tightening carefully towards the end it suddenly became loose. I thought the threads in the thermostat housing pulled out but it turns out the bottom of the boss is extremely thin and I split it. Now I've tightened a few things in my day but this just seemed very fragile to do that. Soooooooo a 2 minute job is now an event. I'm going to try to braze it because I have nothing to lose. If it doesn't seal I'll be posting in the WTB section for a lower thermostat housing
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 01-14-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #2
gmtech68

Re: Little job is now a bigger job

I hope the brazing works. Those are tapered threads on the sender. Looks like people want stupid money for mediocre used ones when new ones seem to be available at places like LMC or whoever your favorite restoration parts dealer is. It seems to be the same from 1966 to 1973 at least, maybe more each way.
gmtech68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech68 View Post
I hope the brazing works. Those are tapered threads on the sender. Looks like people want stupid money for mediocre used ones when new ones seem to be available at places like LMC or whoever your favorite restoration parts dealer is. It seems to be the same from 1966 to 1973 at least, maybe more each way.
I saw one decent looking one on ebay for $59 which isnt terrible but the seller has a garbage rating and that give me the heebie jeevies. This other lad I think makes these aluminum versions himself and it would be a reasonable option if I cant locate an original
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 01-14-2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

If you want to buy from his web site. I didnt know you could get better than 100% feedback. The guy is no fly by night dude, he's well known in the industry.
https://www.12bolt.com/store/p157/Th...0_250_292.html

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 01-15-2023 at 10:05 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
If you want to buy from his web site. I didnt know you could get better than 100% feedback. The guy is no fly by night dude, he's well known in the industry.
https://www.12bolt.com/store/p157/Th...0_250_292.html
Sorry for the mixed info. A guy was selling an original piece off an old motor that had a poopie rating. The guy selling the alum reproduction pieces has 100% and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him. Talking about two different sellers sorry.

At any rate I brazed mine and it turned out fairly well and I'm certain others could do better but it no longer leaks I try to smooth out brazing jobs as best i can but theres a point of diminishing returns where you start melting good areas and you end up chasing your tail endlessly. But now that I have a functional temp sensor and gauge I'm apparently running hot so I think the thermostat itself is old and tired .... hopefully
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy nutcase; 01-15-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
Chevy nutcase

I have a question about these mechanical fuel pumps. To explain, I bought the new temp sensor from summit with a few others. I ditched the old direct drive fan with a new clutch fan and upgraded the points distributor with a new HEI unit. Fan was no problem but the old fuel line was interfering with the new distributor so I made a new fuel line from the pump to the carb. While it was off the gas from the tank was pushing past the pump so I had to make a stopper plug while I bent up the new line. Not a big deal but I thought a pump in good condition wouldn't let fuel slip through. Is this a sign of a failing diaphragm necessitating a new pump?