The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
Sovereign

AC vacuum pod and question

Looks like my heater core is bad. The one hose never gets hot and no heat comes out in the cab. I started pulling everything out from under the dash while also checking all connections etc to make sure it's not something other than the core. I pulled the one distribution box off the front and found this door inoperable due to the plastic bracket being broken. I'm not sure if the vacuum pod works or not. I'm going to assume, no. I can't seem to find parts like this though. Maybe I don't know the proper term. Anyone know where I can find these parts shown?

Also, is it normal for the defrost vent be this far away from the main distribution box? I need to investigate more but it appears to be up under the dash pad properly. I'm not sure I can bring it down any further is my concern.

Thanks
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:57 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: AC vacuum pod and question

Maybe you can use terms off of this site to find the parts you are looking for

Link: http://www.thepartguy.com/heaterboxC...areBody76-85AC
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:10 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

A thread with more terms and pics: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=460942

As far as the gap between the main box and defrost vents, that seems fairly common.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #4
Sovereign

Thank you, both. Those links do help. It's the heater blend door actuator I am looking for. This link has the plastic connector https://www.classicparts.com/1983-85...ctinfo/68-248/

There's a billet aluminum option at the other link from Getter-Done.

I'll keep reading and removing parts.

I'm not sure why my heater core would be blocked. I have my suspicions since there was stop leak in the coolant when I bought the truck. I thought it was for the radiator which did have a leak. Fun times figuring all this out.

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

One thing to check is make sure one of the heater hoses is connected to the intake manifold outlet and the other to either the water pump or radiator. If a PO connected from the water pump to the radiator, you will get very little flow as neither is a pressurized output. This assumes a standard SBC or BBC. LS motors may be different.

When you install your replacement heater core, be sure to seal all gaps. Most replacements are not a perfect fit compared to the OEM core. What looks like a small edge gap can leak a lot of air that won't be picking up heat from the new core.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
Sovereign

I'm connected to the intake manifold and radiator.

I appreciate the info on the core. Any suggestions on what to use for sealing? I've seen people use house weather stripping from hardware stores.