The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
MikeB

Fiber optic cable routing

How did the factory route the fiber optic cable on a 1969 model? It rotates with the shift lever housing, so has to have room for movement at the top.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Fiber optic cable routing

The transmission control pointer fiber optic cable routes through the shift lever housing, and through the rubber column cover’s lower inside, positioned on the turn signal harness’ LH side. The cable routes through the housing’s top hole, and its bullet terminal plugs into the pointer. The cable’s white light bulb socket with a “peanut bulb” plugs into the instrument panel’s lower receptacle nearest the speedometer cable’s RH side.

The transmission control pointer fiber optic cable’s white socket with a peanut bulb plugs into the instrument panel’s lower receptacle nearest the speedometer cable’s RH side, for non-tilt steering columns. The cable’s bullet terminal plugs into the transmission pointer.

Eight instrument panel “peanut bulbs” install with black sockets inserted the panel’s rear, and the fiber optic cable’s peanut bulb installs into the panel as well, for non-tilt steering columns. The bulbs are generally part # 194 for this cab. Reference part # 168 for replacement bulbs.

The transmission control dial assembly’s plastic lens inserts into its plastic housing. The housing mounts to the turn signal housing’s top with two stainless #1 phillips countersunk head self-drilling screws. The screw threads are #8 x 5/16".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-06-2023 at 01:48 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Mike, the shift indicator pointer fiber optic cable is routed along with the t/s switch harness wires down the steering column and through the wire guide cover on bottom side of column. To give'ya the idea, here are the best non-tilt (OE 1967 auto column) pics that I could find in our saved folders with a quick search. Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
MikeB

My Internet service is down, so I’m having a great time today. First time I’ve posted here using my iPhone

Thanks for the information guys. Don’t know if I’ll be able to get that fiber optic cable down into the column and run it along with the ribbon cable from the turn signal switch. I sure do hate to pull the wheel and take apart the top of the column. I may just run the cable out the back like in my photo, and if a part of it shows, so be it. I’ll see what I can do though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #5
MikeB

OK, I made this harder than it really was. I got the pointer installed, and the cable routed down thru the shifter housing and next to the ribbon cable cover. Seems like it’s a tight fit under the cover, so I’ll just zip tie it to the column.
Attached Images

1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 03-07-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
OK, I made this harder than it really was. I got the pointer installed, and the cable routed down thru the shifter housing and next to the ribbon cable cover. Seems like it’s a tight fit under the cover, so I’ll just zip tie it to the column.
With some extra effort it will tuck under the cover. Perhaps one a sleeve of elect. tape to hold it tight. The wires lay flat, or maybe cheat in a pinch on the outer wires.

Old picture of my pointer and switch through the shift housing. Looks right to me.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-06-2023 at 07:56 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
With some extra effort it will tuck under the cover. Perhaps one a sleeve of elect. tape to hold it tight. The wires lay flat, or maybe cheat in a pinch on the outer wires.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll put some more time into it today. Yesterday I was pretty much burned out on this and the larger project.

Installing an AAW Classic Update kit has been a lot more time-consuming than I thought it would be. While allowing for all kinds of aftermarket devices, they make it more difficult to connect to stock devices! Full review to follow.