The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
BladeX

Question Exhaust Manifold Plugs. Stripped and Broke. Heli-Coil?

I got stock exhaust manifold on there.

And i freakin broke 1 of the 8 plugs. 3 are stripped. and 4 came out fine.

Just gravy. I was reading past posts and people said something bout a heli-coil. I know they sell them at my work no idea what they are tho.

Would i be better off taking the manifolds off and taking them to a shop? Since im n00b? would little metal shrapnel from the drilling affect anything if it fell into the exhaust manifolds?

Anyone know what size of heli-coil id need? And how the hell do ya remove the stripped ones. "Previously stripped" not by me.
BladeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Little metal won't hurt it so long as the two mating surfaces are clean, it'll shoot right out the tailpipe next time you start it. if they are stripped, you can buy a threaded insert, to install it you drill out the hole, tap it, thread the threaded insert in, it then locks itself in there, and you can screw the stock bolt back in. You'll likley have to do the same with the broken bolt...
Old 01-07-2004, 03:19 AM   #3
78chevstepside

A person could run a thread chaser and see if the hole could be saved if the plug is out. Seems on a exhaust manifold you could drill it out and tap a new hole. Use a coupling or a heli- cole. I would take the manifold off. It would make it easier. shrapnel in the exhaust shouldnt hurt a thing.I would spray w-d 40 or some kind of lubriciant on the exhaust bolts to help loosen them up. I have removed them before and just put blank plugs in the holes. but that depends what kind of emissions you have to meet. I would fix it yourself. A torche may work for the striped ones. Heat the exhaust manifold( not the tubing plugs). when the manifold gets hot it will expand. then remove the plug. Another option go to a wrecking yard or u-pull-it yard and get a used exhaust manifold with the plugs and all.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
BladeX

Ill take a picture of them tommorow.

I mean i just cant get a grip on the damn things..i tryed cresent but that just slipped like the damn things were made outa aluminum or something and i tryed vice grips and channel locks and plyers.

I just wanna smash it in.

How expensive would be to buy the tap and coil as compared to taking them off and to a shop and getting it professionaly fixed by someone who knows what they are doing?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
blink32

Sears (and other places) sell tools called bolt outs. You just choose one that is "about" the same size (for instance, if it was a 1/2 bolt u pick the bolt out that is used for the 3/8" - 5/8" bolt) then stick it on the damaged head. The inside of the bolt out (looks like a socket) is fluted and gnurled so that when you start to back out the bolt as the bolt out spins it catches on the edges of the metal then digs in. Worked really well for me on an Air Tube connection that was stripped on my exhaust manifold.

buying the correct size tap and wrench along with the heli coil insert could be as cheap as $10 if you buy only the three pieces. Usually Tap and Die's come in Sets.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
BladeX

Since im mad n00b if i take off the exhaust manifolds cause i know that the manifolds use a gasket of some kind. Do i have to replace the gaskets if i take off the manifolds?

And exactly how easy is it to take them off? How long would it take me?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
blink32

Do you absolutely have to replace the gasket.....No. But that depends on weather or not it is damaged when you remove the manifolds (most likely it will be). But it is 100% for sure best practice to replace the gaskets and cheap insurance against leaks, there's no real reason not to replace them unless you had to remove them in an emergency and plan on doing it later. More likely than not the gasket will be damaged when you pull the manifolds and they for sure have been compressed while they were on. If you reuse them then the gasket won't line up exactly where it was last time possibly leaving a slight gap where a new gasket would be thicker then compress and conform to the shape of the head and manifold.

Its like about 8 bolts on the head side of the manifold and 3 nuts on the exhaust side of the mani. Barring any broken bolts or studs it would only take maybe 15 mins to remove them. But if you've never done it and they don't look like they've been removed in a while get some PB Blaster or some other type of penetrating lube and hose down all the bolts and nuts and let that sit in there and help break the rust loose then pray for the best
Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 AM   #8
BladeX

what a pain in the ass taking the manifolds off. haha

so i took 1 side off and i got the 3 gaskets but one of the holes is like ..well id say "owned" its like suspose to be 17/32 hole and its like 3 sizes up from there. Not my doing. the heli-coil almost fits it but im confused about the tap.

Ive never used a tap before. I tryed using a wrench but thats not very effective. Do i need a drill press or something?

Help a n00b out.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
blink32

Usually its easiest to use a Tap with a Tap Wrench like the ones found here:

http://www.lathemaster.com/Piloted%2...ench%20Set.htm
Old 01-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #10
BladeX

is there anyway to re-thread a whole without making it larger?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 PM   #11
Blue Beard

Take the wheel off, drop the inner fender well to give yourself more room to work.....think the job will be a little easier....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #12
BladeX

um poor and a n00b. i dont own a jack that could come close to reaching my frame..haha

or how to take off the inner fender.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #13
Blue Beard

You can unbolt the inner fender with the wheel removed and drop it out the bottom. Takes a little time but worth it for space to work in......

Inner fender if I remember correctly has 3 bolts at the front core support, and most of the rest are along the under side of the fender. Easy to get off.....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote