The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

Serious Opinions

Any one running a 3 speed manual on the floor with V-8 ? If so what's your honest opinion on durability and performance.
Thanks for any input.

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had a 3 on the tree way back when, and it kept jamming between 1st and 2nd. So I put in a hurst universal floor shifter and it was alright. I still didn't care much for how the shifter felt, but it was ok. What I did like was when I reved it up and dropped the clutch and smoked rubber for like half a block and then shifted to 2nd at like 50 mph and got another little chirp. I had a set of BFG euro T/A's at 295-50-15. I went to a 4 speed later and didn't like it. It was from a car but 1st was still too low for me and 2nd was too high a ratio to start in normally. So now I have the TH 350 and wish I had my old 3-speed. What I really want is an overdrive, but the current 5 and 6 speeds sounds like way too much shifting for me.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
1972C10
Account Suspended

A friend of mine used to have a 327 with a three on the tree and he put one of them daytona i think it was "cheap vatozone shifters" on it and it ran pretty good wasnt the tightest pattern but afterall it was a cheap shifter

If got a 3 speed trans with a hurst mystery shifter its pretty firm and snug Ive never had it in anything but it seems like it would be a tight H pattern to drive
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

anyone else?

68 Project

99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
Old 01-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
cableguy0

dont run around slamming gears with it. those old 3 speeds will break if you start banging gears
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
jewels.

i run a three on the tree currently, and i LOVE it.... it is very nostalgic....

the key to running a three on the tree that wont jam up on you is the adjustment in the linkages.... mine used to jam up everytime... it would get stuck in neutral on the column, but still remain in first gear in the tranny.... but fine69 (mike) adjusted the linkage properly at the ohio meet this summer, and it runs fabulous now!!! (thanks mike!)

as for the transmission, the three speed is fairly reliable.... my tranny is only just now showing signs of wear and it has over 210K miles on it!

i cant give you an opinion of it on the floor, as i havent ever driven it on the floor....

hope that helps!
jewels.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #7
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Mine came with a 3-speed, use a good floor shifter. But a 4-speed or auto would be better. I went from a 4 to a auto, next step a AOD.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #8
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

If anyone needs a 3 speed floor shift I have a brand new one for sale, it came with my Jimmy, Mr.Gasket Daytona
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 AM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive had a couple of those and while the truck was quick and could tow anything at highway speed it always seemed like the truck wanted to go another gear. Im told the four speeds is just an extra granny gear or lower gear. Id think a five would be good or better than the three or four, hope i aint discouraged you

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 AM   #10
1969 GMC

yes bob you are right...the 4 speed is basically a 3 speed (gear wise) with an extra low gear. both have a 1:1 final ratio, it does feel like they need another because most other vehicles i've driven have had OD of some sort. there was the rare 3 speed with OD available on 67-72 trucks, but I have never seen one here that wasn't taken out of a truck, and for sale. also, Big Blocks could be had with a 3 on the tree, but I bet you really had to take it easy with that setup...but trucks like that are rare. I'm sure that behind a stock SB V8, a 3 on the tree would be fine...but these old truck trannies don't know the meaning of the word "performance".
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:59 AM   #11
Hooter
My other Love

my friend has a 3 speed overdrive out of a 76 chev truck, are they the same as a tranny from a 67-72?

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:28 AM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Should be. The engines use the same block, so you should be able to bolt on a more modern clutch and bellhousing if you want. I do believe they used the same block for the 305 - 400 till the mid 90s...
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

Thanks everyone, I guess I"ll decide after the engine is build and see what kind of performace I put in it.

68 Project

99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

EdB is on his 5th engine and still running the original out of the box 3 speed. It's the only thing he hasn't ever had to replace or work on.

I went from a 3 on the tree to Hurst on floor, but I'm a six popper. Huge difference in the shifting. Like Jewels stated, the column shift is all about knowing and keeoping those adjustments accurate.

You can also look at the 3 on the tree as a theft deterient. Chances are very few would know how to find a gear!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #15
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Serious Opinions

Quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS 68
Any one running a 3 speed manual on the floor with V-8 ? If so what's your honest opinion on durability and performance.
Thanks for any input.
They installed them 30+ years ago and those that still have the original drivetrain still go strong, so that speaks for durability.

As for performance, what do you mean? Vettes and SS's didn't come with 3 speed column shifts so that should answer the "fast and furious" aspect of performance.

I prefer the 3-on-tree but I prefer utility and originality over performance as defined by speed and horsepower.

Chances are if you're asking, the 3 speed is not for you.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
VTKidder

Re: Re: Serious Opinions

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE
I prefer the 3-on-tree but I prefer utility and originality over performance....
I'll second that. I kept mine because it's what came in the truck, and because you really don't see them on the road much anymore.

If you're looking to hustle some $$ at drag races, this isn't the tranny for you. Peroid.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #17
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Palf70Step
You can also look at the 3 on the tree as a theft deterient. Chances are very few would know how to find a gear!
oh you are so right!!! for years, i have relied on the fact that if any idiot kid stole my vehicle, the police would find it abandoned a few miles from my home because the kid couldnt shift out of first gear.... either that, or the kid would get it stuck in neutral with the tranny still in gear!

LMAO! its a fabulous theft deterent!

thanks for making me laugh!

jewels.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I had a 3 on the column in my 67 and had trouble with the shifter,no matter how it was adjusted it seemed to hang up.I finally put a floor shifter in it and it worked like a dream until the tranny went.Of course the truck had around 500,000 miles on it at that point.I personally prefer the 3 on the tree and agree it works great as a theft deterent.I took a former boss's Checker Airport Limo into the car wash once and was laughing so hard I could hardly drive it out because the kid moving cars that day came running up to me,"Can you move this thing out of the way I don't seem to be able to get it in gear."
Also remember that any young car thief will be putting your vehicle in reverse when they take off instead of first.They will be following the shift pattern of the 4/5 speed cars they have driven.So watch what you park in front of.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:03 AM   #19
swede413

I took my blazer in to Discount Tires . As I handed the kid My keys I ask "Have you ever driven a 3 speed on the column?" He gave me the look and said " well yea!" After hearing the grinding noise I ran over to him screeming "what the fu#% are you doing!!" He says "dude your trannies bad it,wont go into drive or park"

If I knew half of what most teenagers think they know I could rule the world! lol
Old 01-10-2004, 03:09 AM   #20
EdB

I rebuilt my shift tube last year and replaced the bushings
on the levers. They wear out and can cause slack.

The slow part is getting from first to second. An auto will
usually pull away from me. I have some torque and can
come on pretty strong once I get into second.

I believe one of the fastest (at least most fun) cars I ever
drove was a 1964 GTO with a three speed on the floor.
I almost bought it and have always had regrets that I
did not. It handled good and would not quit. It was in
1966 that I drove it.

EdB
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #21
slam33

The aftermarket shifters are ok but your tranny needs to be in top shape. The one problem with the shifters are the mounting brackets. The ears on them break if your tranny jams up and then you have a shifter with a 14" throw. I couldn't wait to get rid of my set up and go to an auto. It's the best converstion I have done yet, now I like driving the thing.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:19 PM   #22
1972ChevyGuy

I put in a hurst 3 spd truck floor shifter and I love it. Theres a little bit long reach for second but its worth it IMO over a column shift. I recently trashed my stock 3 speed when trying to rebuild it (tip: if it aint broke dont fix it, cause now its REALLY broke) but anyways... I jerked that thing around, snatched second, dropped the clutch in 2nd from a stop and it held up fairly well behind a ~360-380 HP 283 in a '72 lwb. I just recently put a "newer" 3 speed manual out of a 80's truck into mine and I jerk the gears pretty hard but I can feel the syncros starting to go out.

Performance.... It could be faster but I am content, it hauls stuff when I need it to haul, and it burns rubber and screeches 3rd when I want it to go. This is with a posi 3.73 coil rearend. Only thing I wish it had was overdrive, it screams at highway speeds ~80 or so. Both of these were saginaw transmissions, I'm not sure how well a BW or muncie would hold up though because I havent used them.

If your looking to go fast there are a few different ratios that came with these trannys. My stock one I would redline in 2nd ~45 mph @ 6000. With the newer model I have now I shift to 3rd ~65 @ 6000. Although with both of these missing that 3rd gear in a four speed hurts, it doesnt have that "umph" in 3rd and you can definatly tell it.
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #23
Quagmire
A splendid one to behold

also had a 3 speed. my cousin converted it to a floor shift before i bought it from him, but he didn't drive it much. after i got it, i always had problems with it binding up going from 1st to 2nd if you were trying to quick shift. no matter how i adjusted the linkage. i even replaced the shifter and linkage, and still had problems.

now running a turbo 350 (for the time being)