The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2023, 09:00 PM   #1
PbFut

Front flex lines

I bought a pair of front flex brake lines from Rock Auto about 18 months ago. They were Chinese crap and fit too tight in my opinion. Should have trusted my gut. Today one failed and stranded me. Lucky no damage. Does anyone have a good source for 72 3/4 ton disc flex lines. I am tempted to run over to ProLine. They make custom but prefer to have a more oem look even though they are not very visible
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:47 PM   #2
mr.mud1

Re: Front flex lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
I bought a pair of front flex brake lines from Rock Auto about 18 months ago. They were Chinese crap and fit too tight in my opinion. Should have trusted my gut. Today one failed and stranded me. Lucky no damage. Does anyone have a good source for 72 3/4 ton disc flex lines. I am tempted to run over to ProLine. They make custom but prefer to have a more oem look even though they are not very visible
i went through that same thing a year or so ago trying to find hoses for my 72 C20.mine were ok,just old and i wanted them replaced,everything that came from Rock Auto and the local car parts stores were too short.i found a place in Michigan,Brake Hoses Unlimited or Hoses Unlimited,i have his card in my tool box so i can get it tomorrow but he knew what i needed as soon as i opened my mouth.i forgot what they cost but it was reasonable and he put them in the mail to me,no problem.fit like a glove.if you can't turn him up by asking Mrs Google,holler back and i'll get you his number tomorrow.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:19 PM   #3
truckster

I'm happy with the brake lines I bought from Inline Tube. They fit pretty easily and seem to be made well.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Got mine years ago at NAPA, all good but they are a bit longer than stock which was great because of my 2.5" front springs. I'll see if I can find the receipt and get a part number.

EDIT: Found it! NAPA part # UP 36761.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 08-05-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:20 PM   #5
dmjlambert

Check out GMC Pauls. I feel they make an effort to avoid selling junk. I've apparently been an advertiser of theirs because I've mentioned them in other posts. I feel they have done the homework for us and know what's good. My disclaimer is I haven't specifically bought 72 3/4ton brake lines from them, but the stuff I have bought is very good. I prefer to buy locally but when I can't put my hands on it right there in a store and see if it feels or looks like junk, I go look on GMC Pauls website for it. If I don't find it there, it probably means they're not carrying that part at all because pretty much all manufacturers for that particular part are junk and buyer beware, and I usually end up getting a used original one whatever that part is from you guys here in the parts section.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:34 PM   #6
kwmech

I take the broken stuff or what I've got to my local radiator shop. They have a machine to make and pressure check just about anything you want.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #7
KSCHEVYUP

Brake Hoses Unlimited in Allegan Michigan 1-616-836-7885
This guy knows his stuff and good to work with.
Made up a set for my 1972 1 ton that I couldn't find anywhere.
Total cost shipped was $60
Highly recommend him
Ron
Old 08-06-2023, 10:59 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I put disc brakes on the front of my truck without routing new hard lines. I used '73 flex lines and routed them for safe braking. There are many ways to skin this cat.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #9
PbFut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I put disc brakes on the front of my truck without routing new hard lines. I used '73 flex lines and routed them for safe braking. There are many ways to skin this cat.
Yes and certainly I could go to the local hydrolic shop, Proline, and they can make a custom set with braided line any length I want. I would rather run a more OEM looking line. I ordered a set from GMC Paul. Let's see what the result is. If not acceptable then I'll head over to Proline.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:54 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

You're talking about brake hose, right? That's the correct term. I but mine from NAPA right in town. Brake lines are the hard metal hard lines bent to fit

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
Reddeye

I had the same issue finding ones for my '72 C20 and got these: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/DOT-B...-20,36151.html
Reddeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:13 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

As for why I used the '73 lines, it's because I was too lazy to install steel lines that went to the front of the front crossmember- I kept the old drum brake lines, and the '71-'72 hoses wouldn't reach, of course.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #13
PbFut

So an update. The Flex lines I dis'ed Rock Auto for selling me that I feel is ever so slightly short and putting what I feel is excessive stress on the fittings did not fail. I ordered a set from Paul's GMC, they are Brother's. And by the way exactly the same as Rock Auto. I did not bother to replace.
Bottom line. Not confidence inspiriting.
The actual issue ended up being the PV2 Proportion Valve (It's really a Combination Valve) purchased about a year ago from InLine Tube. The front of the assembly failed squirting break fluid towards the left front wheel giving the impression of a failed line given the fluid was all over that area.