The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2023, 07:14 AM   #1
AlaskaK10

12 Bolt Gear Carrier

Hi Everyone

Work was progressing smoothly on my 66 K10 until I hit a bump in the road with the 12 bolt rear end. When I removed the cover some water came out and a small amount of oil. I thought OH S.....T! Anyway upon opening it I found the ring gear had rust pits on three teeth. Further when trying to get the C clips out the axles were frozen in place. I had to persuade them with a few good whacks with a rather large hammer which got them to move in enough to get the clips off. In doing this though I broke one of the blocks that the pin goes through that sits against the spider gears. A part of the C clip must have hit it. I wonder if the part can be found to replace. Or what other solutions might be advisable. I can buy a new Yukon posi unit with new gears for around 700. What's the thoughts on this one?
Attached Images

AlaskaK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
raidmagic

Re: 12 Bolt Gear Carrier

If you're not in a hurry I'm getting ready to put new gears in my truck. I could send you whatever you needed out of mine when I take it apart.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
Accelo

Your carrier is not reusable.
Replace it with good used as they are out there. Lots of good carriers removed when owners added posi. Be sure to get the correct series. You will know your series when you report the gear ratio.
The rust on the gears is fine. I would run them, others may not. The rusting isn't in a high contact area. I think it will be fine. I always use OEM gears if I have that option.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
AlaskaK10

The broken unit is a posi carrier so whatevr I replace it with will have to be the same. I am not in a hurry and would be interested in a good used one if anyone has one. By the way I am running 3.73 gears so series 4 carrier.
AlaskaK10 is offline   Reply With Quote