The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
kwmech

T400 help

Being around GM products for just about 30 years now I am a little stumped. I picked up a 69 GMC that was a class B, now just a cab and chassis, and rated at 14k-- 350 engine and a turbo 400. The trans does not have a park gear nor does the column have a place for the shifter to lock into---R N D 2 1 . My question-- can I put the rods into the case and change the column? or do I have to replace the trans also. The local trans shops do not seem able to give me a firm yea or nea. Anyone
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have been told that this is just in the column, and that the tranny has a parking pawl.
However, the one guranteed way to find out, would be to disconnect the linkage, and see if you can find park on it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Not good to use the park feature on such a heavy truck. Might not hold it while loaded. Not having park forces you to use the parking brake.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
kwmech

So you think that everything is in the trans? I guess I'll have to pull the pan and see. Hoping to find out before I start tearing everything apart so I know what I am up against.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:49 AM   #5
kwmech

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat Fuzz
Not good to use the park feature on such a heavy truck. Might not hold it while loaded. Not having park forces you to use the parking brake.
I realize that and know that is why GM did that on their trucks, but I am trying to find out what the difference is-- if any--in the transmissions.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:28 AM   #6
Clancy68

i just got through rebuilding a th-400,

theres a way that you can tell by looking at the outside of the case if it will accept a parking assembly. i can describe it if you like, but unfortunatly i can't really get you a picture in a timely fashion. if the case does not accept a parking assembly, your outta luck if you want one in there. your options are either live with out it or get a new case, being a heavy duty truck it might be a th-475, it might be worth your while to get a new case because those 475's are even beefier than a 400, they have things like stright cut planetaries, and bigger shafts etc.

--Scott
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote