The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2024, 05:35 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Anyway to remove the large aluminum cover on the end of the steering box end?

During the build of this truck I rebuilt the steering box. Was super careful, took my time and made sure everything was super clean, and lubed up all the o-rings when installing them. None the less the box is leaking from the big aluminum cover at the end. Does anyone know of a way to get that cover off without having to dis-assemble the whole steering box again? I was hoping to just pop it off with it still installed in the truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 05:58 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Anyway to remove the large aluminum cover on the end of the steering box end?

Look closely.. The cover is held in place with a snap ring.. You may have to clean off any accumulated grease and grime to see it.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:29 PM   #3
D-n-Tyke

Re: Anyway to remove the large aluminum cover on the end of the steering box end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Look closely.. The cover is held in place with a snap ring.. You may have to clean off any accumulated grease and grime to see it.
Yeah, I know about the snap ring. I can get that off. But then there isn't really anything to grab on to to get the cover off/out. When I rebuilt the box I pushed it out from the inside woth the piston. Really don't want to take the whole box apart again to pish it out from the inside like before.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:50 PM   #4
RustyPile

I've never removed one from the outside, don't know if it can be done or not..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:58 PM   #5
ls1nova71

I don't know if this will work or not, and I also don't know what's on the other side of that, but the way we take the input and output seals out at the shop is to take the snap rings out, then start the engine and crank the wheel all the way one way. The increase in pressure will push them out. It may do the same for that, but again, I have no first hand experience with that part.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 11:39 PM   #6
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I don't know if this will work or not, and I also don't know what's on the other side of that, but the way we take the input and output seals out at the shop is to take the snap rings out, then start the engine and crank the wheel all the way one way. The increase in pressure will push them out. It may do the same for that, but again, I have no first hand experience with that part.
Below is the stack up of how it all came apart when I rebuilt it. It is the large oiston that is behind the cap. Your idea might work. Just wondering how much of a mess it makes (do it do it in the driveway, or over the yard where a mess isn't as noticeable, hahaha)
Attached Images