The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
ggalv

1970 Chevrolet C20 Pickup - Motor Leaking Oil

I have a 1970 Chevrolet C20 350, 5.7 pickup truck. The motor is leaking oil. I am trying to get an idea of possible places were the motor is leaking oil and what is required to fix it.

If I was to clean the motor to have a clean motor and look for oil leakage, what is typically used to clean the motor? Also, what parts need to be covered if water is used?

What are the places the motor would leak oil? Valve cover gaskets and head gaskets? Any other places?

What is typically done to fix motor oil leakage? Replace valve cover gaskets? head gaskets? Anything else? Might it require removal of motor?

Just trying to be well informed as I look for a mechanic or mechanic shop.

Appreciate the help.
ggalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 10:37 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: 1970 Chevrolet C20 Pickup - Motor Leaking Oil

I would start with cardboard placed under the Engine.

Then you can see a local point of the Major Leak.

There are lots of cleaners and processes.

Simple green or Purple power work.
A person just has to be cautious about spraying on Wiring and electrical stuff.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Any ideas on the age or mileage on the motor? On high mileage motors any gasket may be leaking. Cheap gaskets will fall before quality gaskets will. And any gasket can fail if improperly installed.

Common points that leak but don't cause other problems (Like a leaking head gasket may)
The front and rear intake manifold gaskets.
Rear main seal.
Oil pan gasket.
Front main seal.
Fuel pump.
Valve covers. This can be from bent or deformed covers as well gasket failure.
There are more but these are the most common ones I've seen over the years.

Replacing the PVC valve and hose can help as a collapsed hose or stuck valve can allow pressure to build in the crankcase.

Generally if I have a really dirty engine I will take it to the DIY car wash and use their engine wash and the high pressure spray. Just stay clear of the upper part of the engine with the spraying. And wear some safety glasses.

Old plug wires are susceptible to grounding out when wet so it's best to avoid the car wash if your plug wires are old or questionable. Taking some WD40 to spray the plug wires down after cleaning the engine is a good idea.

You didn't mention what style of transmission. The front seal on automatics can leak as well as the seal around their dipstick tube adding to the mess.

There are dyes you can add to your oil that in combination with a black light can help locate leaks. Some professionals swear by them as they make it easier to find the leak when clean oil is leaking.

Good luck on your search.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Small Block Chevy's just leak... it's what they do. Especially if it's the original engine with high miles and all original gaskets. A lot of them leaked in spots very shortly after leaving the show room floor.

A lot of leaks at the rear of the engine are caused by leaking valve cover gaskets, or the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block behind the intake manifold.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:09 PM   #5
mr48chev

Best idea is to grab a can of WD-40, a roll of paper towels and a flat blade #2 screwdriver and your favorite engine degreaser and a pocket full of quarters and head to the quarter car wash and clean the engine and engine compartment as well as you can. WD-40 and towels and screwdriver are to dry the inside of the distributor cap out if it gets condensation in it. get it good and clean and start checking closely .

I've got a 68 292 that ran great but was given to me because in a 180 mile road trip it leaked more oil than it used gas dollar wise. The guy bought the truck drove it home and pulled it in the garage and did an engine swap. That one is going in my 48.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:21 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Best idea is to grab a can of WD-40, a roll of paper towels and a flat blade #2 screwdriver and your favorite engine degreaser and a pocket full of quarters and head to the quarter car wash and clean the engine and engine compartment as well as you can. WD-40 and towels and screwdriver are to dry the inside of the distributor cap out if it gets condensation in it. get it good and clean and start checking closely .

I've got a 68 292 that ran great but was given to me because in a 180 mile road trip it leaked more oil than it used gas dollar wise. The guy bought the truck drove it home and pulled it in the garage and did an engine swap. That one is going in my 48.
Wow. That would be his loss. A few dozen dollars for gaskets, and yer done. Crazy.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:33 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Wow. That would be his loss. A few dozen dollars for gaskets, and yer done. Crazy.
He bought it with the very nice ready to drop in engine sitting and waiting for it. The truck was a nice original 4 speed truck that ran great but leaked oil everywhere that one can leak.

This was after they pressure washed the engine and engine compartment before pulling it.

It's getting painted 48 Chevy truck engine gray with a serious amount of finned cast aluminum on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:18 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Brutal! "Take a Saws-All to that exhaust pipe! I want that engine out of here, now!" BTW, I hope you are doing away with that puny air filter.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:30 PM   #9
BROWN 70

Wink Re: 1970 Chevrolet C20 Pickup - Motor Leaking Oil

Quarter car wash??? my local one is 4 bucks. lol
BROWN 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:42 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN 70 View Post
Quarter car wash??? my local one is 4 bucks. lol
For sure.

48 Chev did say a Pocket full So He Knows.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote