The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 07:35 PM   #1
RustyPile

BBB Industries Quality???

I'm not looking for "how do I check this" replies. I have a quality issue with BBB Industries reman alternators. I added dual electric fans to the cooling system on my truck, along with a couple very low current devices. I upgraded the main power distribution wire and put in an 8 gauge wire for the alternator output, along with adding wiring for an internal regulator system. The fans are on relays and that wiring is totally independent from the factory wiring.

The auto supply I patronize mostly carries BBB Industries reman starters and alternators. They carry a 12 month warranty. 5 years ago I installed one of their rebuilt starters on my mild 454 BBC and haven't had any problems with it.

I did the electrical upgrades back in December 2023 and installed one of their 94-amp 12SI alternators. I don't drive the truck very much, only about 1500 miles annually. A couple weeks ago, after about 400 miles, the alternator totally failed. It was replaced under warranty.
after the replacement, the first time I drove the truck after dark, when coming to a stop, the headlights would dim. Rev the engine up to about 1500 RPM, and the light came back to full brightness. I made it home OK, but the next day when I checked it, the alternator doesn't charge at idle.. The test sheet that came with it says it will charge 60 amps at idle. It actually operates like a one wire alternator. but it's not spec'd as such and neither is the wiring.

Like I said, I'm not looking for any "how to" replies. I'm looking for (I guess you could call it) reviews of the BBB Industries products.. People who have had experiences, good or bad, with that brand.

Also, I'd like recommendations for another brand, as I intend to ask for credit toward the purchase of another brand.
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote