The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Terry Peerson

Question Off-Topic Help Needed! (Kind of Long)

The wife's car is a '96 Tahoe with a 5.7-litre, vortec V-8. It has started "pinging" when we're pulling a hill. Actually, the "pinging" started about a year ago. At that time, I started using mid-grade gas. That seemed to take care of it...for a while. Then it started again. So, I changed to Premium fuel. Again, the pinging stopped. Now, I am using the 92-Octane premium gas from AMOCO. But, the pinging has started again. The car only has 70,000 miles on it. And, except for the detonation seems to run like a scalded dog. Idles smooth. I am thinking that I must have a carbon problem. I know that I saw a post on here that recommended some kind of fuel treatment that really works to remove carbon deposits. Any reccommendations?

Sorry this is so long,

Terry
Terry Peerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

I've noticed a lot of people with these engines complain of pinging. You might try disconnecting the battery for an hour. It used to work on the older Chevy TBI fuel injection systems to reset the computer.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You can squirt water directly into the throttle body from a spray bottle. The water turns to steam in the combustion and the steam basicly steam cleans the piston top and combustion chaimber. It'll knock loose all kinds of crap (asuming this is the actual problem)
The water does not dilute your oil or even make it to the oil, it all goes up in smoke, althoguh, you could chainge your oil right after if it makes you feel better.
This is also a good way to pass smog testing on a vehicle that just barely failed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Terry Peerson

Thanks!

I can try both of those suggestions rather easily.

Terry
Terry Peerson is offline   Reply With Quote