The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

Tx Firefighter posts a thread over on the 67-72 forum each week asking what you got done over the weekend. It appears to be a great idea to help motivate everyone on their project.

Is anyone on here "actively" working on their truck that would like to start this over here? As little as i get to work on mine, I don't think I would set a good example to follow. Maybe Chris would like to play....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

how about new headliner, doorpanels, doorpanel bottoms, kickpanel speakers, seatbelts, rear speakers, visors. All in the new '83 JImmy

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 01-19-2004 at 02:02 PM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
BaggedC10
Under construction!

No progress last week. I think this is an awesome idea though!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

I hauled home a new project engine, which pretty much ate my budget for the rest of the month

Other than that, i changed the oil, filter, v-belts, set the idle a little higher and tore down some leftover stereo wiring courtesy of the PO.
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Izzy
Trucker.

I have a new block for the project. Has a Comp cam and is already bored too. Gonna get some vortec heads, tpi and the scoggins manifold.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
chevychic

I purchased a vacuum gauge and hand-held dwell/tach/volt meter and used it to help me with adjusting my carb this weekend. Now I can be confident that I have it adjusted correctly (Been running REALLY rich since I messed with things in October trying to track down my carb problem).

Installed a new seatbelt for the center console seat and re-routed the others for easier access since the benchseat is gone.

Other than that, I inspected the frontend or tried to rather. 'Cept I have a sucky floor jack that won't lift my truck high enough to clear the driver side tire.

Plans for the week are to install the new headliner and interior trim that's been sitting in my closet painted and ready to go for 3 months. Pics will be sure to come after it's in.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

GOt my carb rebuilt...and get to take it back cause they didnt do it right

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

It's too cold here. I built a nightstand.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
gldevall

I went and played in the mud on the 4-wheeler. Almost fixed my tach.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Grim Reaper

One door latch bushing ...6 hours too install.

Well my place has gone to hell. TOO MANY projects. Rained all day Satuday for the most part. Tride to do a few things Sunday.
Current list:

House including remolding 2 baths and a kitchen and painting because I have outgrown it BAD and thinking of selling. Found a place www.southlandhomes.com that has SEVERAL 4 car garage floor plans that will build on you land for under $100k.

70 LeMans I can't even find.
1959 Airstream in a frame off restoration. The interrrior is in my garage next to and on top of Lemans.
My door latch on 88 Burb had the plastic bushing come off. Have to slam the door to latch then every bump it rattles. I had a good one in the garage but couldn't find it for all the camper parts.

So I decided to try and clean the garage up and locate all the MIA tools and parts.
So I kept moving junk in circle trying to find better places for it and only suceeding in rotating the junk and still didn't find the bushing. I did mange to get a the rements 5 x12ft foll of fooring used on the camer mode so I cantually have 34 inche isle front to back now instead of the 28 inches I had before.

I gave up went ot get something out of the Burb. Damn door didn't latch with four normal attempt to close. So at this point I depressed about the mess that is my garage and pissed at the door latch. Off to Auto Zone I go to buy new latch pin. Have to slam the door 5 time to get it fully latched.

Get there they have Pin assemby for $10 and box of 4 bushings listed for a Ford for $3.50, none marked for GM. Buy both. Get home Finnaly find my Cheap T50 but couldn't find the good snap on T50 that is in a socket set that is in the garage somewhere.

So the latch pin has never been off and full of paint. Paint doesn't let T50 seat fully and it starts to round out. Find hammer and tap it in and yank it out to get the paint out. 3 tries I get a good bite and I can break it loose.

Ahhh on the down hill side of this job. Get it loose enough to be turned by hand....last thread and I hear capitive bolt rattle down the piller into the rocker. String of colorfull words are emmited for long period of time. Nice phrases like "F" me!, you got to be $H!TTEN ME!"...you know......

So at what F-innn point did captive striker pin bolt no longer become captive?

I pull the trim out and find that there are access holes with nice sharp edges great for idiots like me with health issues and eating rat poision to thin my blood and now a hymopheliac!

I look and captive nut was never captive. Go diging in garage for magnet. Find one that has hung on wall for 8 years. I try it and no stickum. Dig around for another anf find two. After 5 minutes I finnaly fish the not so captive nut out. Wedge my hand in access hole with nice sharp edges with Mechanics gloves on....won't fit with gloves. 5 minituse screwing around and I get the nut back joined with striker pin with Ford bushing that took a little coaxing with a hammer to work but it does work.

So now you have the 6 hour bushing install that only takes 5 tools to install.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 01-19-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
Kenneth

Thanks to the helpful group of people on this site, I was able to successfully complete my first engine and tranny pull. Getting the tranny out and clear of the mount proved difficult b/c jacking it up led to denting the tranny oil pan, but not too bad. And other than the little wires getting in the way everything went smooth like silk. This was also b/c I discovered engine hoist brackets conveinently attached to my block already. Now I've got to clean the engine compartment, fix the tranny leaks, and strip the 305 of all things going to the 350. maybe tomorrow. hahaha
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

ive been preparing my 78 C10 for the new body parts to be installed.took the headlight bezels,grill,and two chrome strips above the grill off.i also cleaned up the chrome peices that will be adding to the engine and this week im going to order some minor engine parts i need to fix up the motor to make it run better.i cleaned the chrome tube grill off as well with some brillo pads.the doors and fenders that will be going on i will do when i have some one to assist me with that.thats about it so far

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #13
BigRed

Didn't do much. It was a little cold and I was watching the rug rats most of the weekend. However, I finally replaced my brake pedal pad that was held on with bailing wire. I also readjusted my rear brakes and replaced a broken center cap on one of my wheels.

Next weekend will be replacing my wife's front brakes and hopefully installing the tach in my truck that I've had for about 4 months.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #14
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i hauled home a TH350/203 combo a couple weeks ago, last week it was a set of 3/4 ton axles (10 bolt front/14FF rear, 4.10s and i'm told "posis" at both ends) this week im searching for a SWB K10 frame to put it all on.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #15
C-10volvo

i went to the junk yard and got two perfect fenders. at 20 dollars each, im happy. i sanded them down and found no bondo, cancer or dents at all! sunday i ordered a 2.5/4 inch static drop kit. it will later be bagged, and i didnt want to go through the trouble of buying new tires to fit a 4/6. im planning on running a 20 or 22 inch wheel and thats going to be a bit spendy, but it will look sweet!! i am basicly going for the look of n2truck's black shorty, but it will be a blue longbed.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #16
CRRoy71

I went to the Dr. and found out I have a torn ligament in my right foot, due to a little accident I had on a sled while on vacation.
The Blazer is still at the tranny shop waiting on the new tranny to come in. As soon as I get it back, I need to fix an oil leak on the drivers side vavle cover, paint some of the int. pcs, and redo my headliner.

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #17
C-10volvo

how is that for a 2.5/4 drop?? haha, no i just pushed the new fender against the old... LAYIN' ROCKER!!!!!
Attached Images

For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 PM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

I got tons done!

Painted my dash bezel chrome, lubed my speedo stuff, installed new front shocks, installed a new bumper light, reset my valve lash, replaced the crappy plastic window lock with a nice chrome one, installed a new heat riser pipe, and found a new wash motor switch tip

I still got some carb work to do, I wanna rewire my amp and I've got to do a bit more work on that window lock as well as glue my window frame back to the window (never try to pull the window over by the latch, breaks the whole frame off the window! )

All small stuff, but stuff I've been wanted to get done for a while. Its been beautiful out, so I haven't been freezing my butt off working on the truck while the fire warms the shop up.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #19
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I finished putting my new work bench together. First project, GET IT DIRTY!! I tore apart some A-arms I'm rebuilding for my truck. I just need to get the ball joints out and some of the large outter casings out. I'll be beating them out this week. Next step sandblasting!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:23 AM   #20
clipity
Big hands Big feet ohwell

I went to pic n pull and got some parts fog lights,heater cable,and a antena.Ordered some overlays for my dash.Then wired my burb for a trailer then took the kids and the wife to a friends to ride the Xr 50 and the quads.
87 Banshee
88 Katana 1100
clipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 AM   #21
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Since recovering I'm not doing much. Still ain't driven my truck. Too much needs done to it. Yeah I know but I can't get out there yet to lift and pull etc. on the stuff that needs done.

On a side note been 4 weeks post surgery and lost 50lbs. so far so I guess I've accomplished something after all

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #22
blink32

Hit up the junkyard and got some misc bolts n screws n bits.

Put my cluster backtogether with a pristine surround and a NON-fried printed circuit. Cleaned up this and that.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #23
74Pumpkin
Insert witty comment here

Its been way too cold here to work in an unheated garage. Coldest day = -10 Warmest day today = +7
So I am building a wall in my kitchen. and installing a few base cabinets. God I wish it was warm out!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #24
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

I backed mine out of the garage, drove it around for about a 1/2 hour and then put it back under the cover in the garage.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #25
Ripley Bryant

I hauled 2 loads of storm debris to the dump and the rest of the tree that fell on my neighbor's house to my yard for firewood next fall/winter. Then the kids and I drove home taking the 'scenic' route. They loved it!

My current project is getting my wife's X1/9 ready for the first AutoX event of the season on March 7th. Head is off, engine bay cleaned up, block is prepped for new, ported performance head and cam to go on, Misc pieces/parts have been cleaned up and painted. Hope to get it all put back together this week so I can begin the conversion to fuel injection.

'77 Chevrolet Silverado 20 - 454 BB, TH400, Factory wood floor longbed
'75 Fiat X1/9 - my AutoXer
'77 Fiat X1/9 - her AutoXer
'81 Fiat 2000 Spider - under construction
'00 Dodge Neon - Commuter
'00 Dodge Grand Caravan - Family bus
Ripley Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote