The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #1
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

What did y'all do...Custom A/C question

I am at the point on my truck where I am shopping for the aftermarket A/C system for my truck. I have filled and smoothed the firewall and this poses a problem for vintage air. Their system uses the facory hole in the firewall. I really like the vintage air system because it will work with our factory switches. HotRod Air dont have an exact fit system for the 67-72 trucks, although they do have something that will work.

What have you done/suggest?
Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

You could easily make the Vintage Air work. With carefully placed holes you could use the stock rubber grommets or if you wanted it slick have custom hoses made and use bulkhead fittings on the firewall...no problem
Old 01-23-2004, 01:01 AM   #3
dinnut

im sure vintage air has a custom kit you could use. why cant u use a custom kit from hot rod air? it doesnt have to be a direct fit they got all kind of crazy stuff that looks great. some of it all the stuff is on the inside...
good luck keeping cool
Old 01-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

You can send your factory AC controls to Hot Rod air and they will modify them to work with their system.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:07 AM   #5
Chevyguy111786

I have the vintage air unit. it would not be hard to cut the holes you need. They have a cover plate so it wouldn't have to be a perfect 90* angle on every cut or what not....you could make it look good without breaking you're back over it. I installed my unit myself. There was some tweeking, and i ended up making custom brackets anyway. so going with Hot Rod Air might be good idea, i'd go with the best price. if you shaved you're firewall, you know how to fabricate and work with metal, so this stuff is pretty easy compared to that.
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #6
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
You can send your factory AC controls to Hot Rod air and they will modify them to work with their system.
They never said they could do this ovef the phone!
I'm calling them agian.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

I met the Vice Prez of Hot Rod Air at the NSRA show in Louisville a couple years back. I had gone "window shopping" in the Vintage Air, Hot Rod Air, and a couple other aftermarket AC booths. The guys in the Vintage Air booth were real real arrogant and didn't want to talk to me about it. One of the guys stated, "This is a street rod product ... your at a street rod show .... your truck is NOT a street rod." He then went on to explain how they use servo motors to control the different aspects of heater and AC functions. The statement about " ... your truck is NOT a street rod" pretty much made up my mind about purchasing from them.

I then wandered over to the Hot Rod Air booth and explained what I wanted to do. Saw this guy standing there and asked him my questions. He was very informative and very pleasant to deal with. He stated that they would take my stock controls and modify them to accept thier type of cables. Apparently they don't use servo motors so thats the reason they can use our stock controls vs. Vintage Air.

Here are the details that I have:

David Stutts
dstutts@hotrodair.com
Hot Rod Air, Inc.
9330 Corporate Drive
Suite 303
Selma, TX 78154
(210) 651-0040 - phone
(210) 651-0070 - fax
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Thanks Shane!!
Old 01-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
busterwivell

I'm using stock controls with my Vintage Air system with no problem. I talked to the Vintage Air people at GoodGuys DelMar 2 years in a row, and they were helpful. I'm just about done putting their system in my Chevelle right now. Got to have it ready for DelMar!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote