The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 11:58 PM   #1
Nate003

how to get the play out of my steering wheel

Hey everybody, I finally got my 68 running and driving perfect engine wise, but the steering wheel has a ton of play in it, I know it can be other things besides the steering box, but if it is the steering box how do i get the play out? I heard that you have to be careful when messing with that screw on the top
Nate003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:05 AM   #2
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

have somebody turn the wheel from side to side as you loosen the (11/16?-5/8?) set nut and turn the bolt w/ the allen head . just don't want to tighten so much that it starts to bind up.most slop/play is in the tie-rods (both the inners and outers) and even in the ball joints and idler arm.
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 AM   #3
cdowns

b-4 you even think of messing with the steering box all the other front suspension pieces must be inspected/replaced to factory specs MUST MUST MUST!!!!!!!!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Hey Nate, you running power or manual steering? I totally agree with cdowns on his advice on adjusting your steering box. Try giving all the steering components a good lube job. While you're doing that, it will give you a chance to inspect all of your suspension components. The good news is, the suspension components are fairly inexpensive and real easy to change out. Take a real good look at your idler and pitman arms. If worn out, you really feel the side to side play. And if you're running manual steering, it is way more pronounced as opposed to power steering. These trucks are a real pleasure to drive with fresh suspension components. With everything new, a decent lowering job and a sway bar, you will think you are driving a go-kart..

Last edited by gonebad2; 01-26-2004 at 12:38 AM.
gonebad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
skid

I agree with cdowns. To be safe, the rest of the steering system must be in good shape. I had plenty of play in my steering, and replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints (4x4) , plus the rag joint. I still had play in the steering after that, so I tried adjusting the steering box pitman shaft end play adjuster. It didn't make any difference at all. I bought a rebuilt steering box from LMC but have yet to install it. Hopefully that should solve my end play issues.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:15 AM   #6
Nate003

i have power steering, thanks for the advice on checking everything else first, i'll do that and if anything looks remotely bad i'll replace it anyways. I bought the truck without an engine in it, and just got the engine finished so i have no idea how it steered before i bought it. are there any places online that have superior steering components compared to just stock replacements or is it not that big of a deal and go with the stock replacements, and where or what kind of sway bar should i go with. thanks again for all your help.
Nate003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:02 AM   #7
redbowtie3

Moog makes great front-end parts. Try Summit for the sway bars...

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...&d=29&x=15&y=8
redbowtie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:50 AM   #8
doughby82

as far as sway bar.i would just get the biggest diameter that you can find i think but im not sure the biggest you can get is an 1 1/4.i got mine off of a 77 1ton it had the 1 1/8th
doughby82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:09 AM   #9
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Oh, one more thing. If you replace suspension components without the engine and tranny in the car, don't tighten anything all the way down until the engine and tranny are installed. If you tighten everything down and then put the weight of the car on the new suspension parts, they won't last long. The truck has to be sitting in it's normal parked position with all the weight on the suspension before the final time when you tighten everything up.