The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Got some Estimates done and the Adjuster Came!

Well....I went today to get some Estimates done. Went to 2 Different Body Shops. Wallum's Said 5,619.86 in damages. Mind u they will be useing GM replacment parts that re way over priced lol. Flores Body shop gave me 2 Estimates; 1. Was 3663.22 thats with everying including paint and labor and trim molding w/ a new Bedside Panel. 2. Was with an entire new Bed assembly w/ paint and labor and trim and all that came out to 4384.37. The adjuster asked if i had already gotten any estimates I said no. He took a few pics make it pretty clear that it was a good truck and shortbeds now a days were hard to find in the 70's. He didnt kno the value of the truck so I showed him the NADA Value I printed for him. HE told me hes never seen one go for 6-7k. I said....are those stock trucks. I though so. then he kept saying he knew where to find trucks like mine with clsoe tothe same color. I was like...u can total it lol...But I am keeping it either way..the paint job alone is worth more than my soul HAHA :P Anyways, he took a few pics....said a few words. And said they would have an estimate for me tommorow. Told him about all the work I did....the new 350 and Turbo400 it has. Took a pic of the inside which i made very clear was totally restored. I kno for a fact that this truck is worth more than 3500-4500. BUt we'll just have to see wat happens tommorow. I really hope it works out. I will really on edge if I dont get enough to fix it. And I mean really on edge! To him its jsut and old truck to people like Me and you its alot more than that. So wish em luck on the quote guys

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
rolson1039

make sure you hold out for the $5600 estimate.. you could also tell the adjuster that your going to need replacement wheels if they dont settle soonso they need to get you a rental car ( one thats for a kid is impossible to find so youll have to do some fancy talking) and keep stressing all the work youve done to bring up the worth of your truck. Make sure you tell em you really dont give a crap if you have to sue them and their insured. Id go to the chevy dealer and get an estimate from their body shop to fix it that would be even higher and try damanding they pay that one!
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
78SilveradoSWB

Is this your insurance company's adjuster or the lady who hit your truck insurance company? If it's her's, tell her you will be suing for the balance and you will be contacting your lawyer regarding this. One thing insurance companies don't like, is having a lawyer intervene, which means more $$$'s out their door. I was trained as an adjuster for Liberty Mutual a long time ago and each claim is given an amount that potentially could be paid out and our job was to settle as best below that amount. We also wanted to make sure that any ideas of involving a lawyer was far removed.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
cochino12
It followed me home?

good luck with it, keep us updated

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
zzChevy
BANNED

This is probably the 1 reason I like to keep all records of spendings on everything I own. Can't be to careful.
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #6
SCOTI

From my experiences, insurance co's won't pay for any mechanical upgrades (ex: motor & trans work, rebuilt suspension) because that is considered normal upkeep of vehicle. Dig up any receipts for the interior & the paint job (that's worth more than your soul, lol).... they will help your claim.

The estimate from a dealership is also a good idea. For every high estimate you bring there's another that's low. Try to get estimates that are in perspective of the damage.... not to over the top.

As for threatening w/a lawsuit..... I worked w/a guy that attempted that angle. His accident was much like yours (he wasn't in the truck) so there's no injuries or medical expenses to worry about. No pain & suffering, no long term health issues that will be considered. So he bluffed w/the lawsuit angle & they called him on it. By the time he got an attorney & paid for all the misc BS, he would have came out ahead if he would have just taken their initial offer. Plus, he had to deal w/the lawyer & court BS (missing work etc). Now if you were in the vehicle & get whiplash, there would be 10,000 lawyers biting @ your heals to take the case for free (for a percentage of the final settlement), but for damages to a vehicle only.... you pay up front.

Good luck whatever you decide.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
stepside454

78 when my 76 Stepper was totalled 3 years ago I got 8200.00 for it. I was shocked!!!.
It helped that the truck was at a friends bodyshop/restoration facility & that Mike really bragged up the truck before the wreck. But, it still wasnt as nice as that one of yours.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 AM   #8
Prerunner1982

estimates for mine...were $5600 i got $2000... of course my truck doesnt come close to 98% of the ones on this board.. so i wasnt worried. paid off bills and still had enough to fix the truck enough to satisfy me... i like a nice paint job and a nice truck.. hell i had plans for mine to be nice one day... but i like the way it is no, i have no worries of a dent or scratched paint...i clean it, take a rattle can and fix it...
Oklahoma Roll Call

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 01-29-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote