The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

California Members:Need info on moving my modified 70 Jimmy

I'm probably moving to California this year and I need to find out if it's worth it to take my 70 Jimmy with me. Here's the deal:

It used to be a 4x4 (converted to 2wd).
Notched xmember and associated frame mods.
Pre emmissions 454 (not stock, mild cam, headers, hei).

I need to know for sure what issues I will have registering and emmissions testing my truck. Websites with the laws would be helpful.

Thanks
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While I do not nor never lived there, currently they are not smogging pre 74 vehicles. However, there is concern that they will go back to smogging the old vehicles since the state recently purchased the equipment to do it with.
If they do go back to the old standards, you'll probably have to do some work to get it in there standards.

There may well be other issues I am unaware of too. Real bummer your ride isn't a worthless rust bucket. It would be so much easier to sell a turd and get a rust free(ish) cali truck, that it would to re-do what you have already completed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Can't give you specifics, other than to agree with Longhorn Man that your rig is (currently, at least) smog exempt. Might try this for a starting point - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Good luck! Where are you moving from - and where to?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
jef5150
Inline 69

dmv

Smog inspections are required for all vehicles (except diesel powered vehicles, motorcycles, or vehicles with a "year model 30 years old or older".) you have 20 days to re- register you're vehicle, Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) ,
Submit your out-of-state registration certificate,
Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it) ,
Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification ,(your exempt)
Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10 years old),
Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV ) ,
Pay the fees ,,,,,,,,,,do your self a "BIG FAVOR",WHEN YOU GO TO DO ALL THIS MAKE YOURSELF AN APPOINMENT"!!!! heres a toll free # to call,at 1-800-777-0133. ask if they will mail you the proper forms, before you move.it'll save you time, that way all the forms will already be filled out,you hand them to them an they will verify your vin to the truck vin.......where in CA are you moving? jeff,,,,,,,,,you will need proof of insurance,if you dont have insurance,they wont issue you tags

Last edited by jef5150; 02-08-2004 at 06:35 PM.
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Thanks guys!

I'm going to move to the Sacramento area from here in Corvallis, Oregon. We have family in Folsom. I'll get my Real Estate License in June and I'm gonna have a go at it then. My current career is in high tech manufacturing and my job is going overseas in the next couple of years(though they don't exactly tell us that in those words). It's time to make a move on my terms, not thier's. All's good though, I like dealing with people (the good ones make dealing with the not-so-good worth it). That's why I post so much here. It's the cream of the crop of American society! Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
Olden Days
Living In The Past

I am "almost" sure that even if they did start to smog older vehicles again, they smog according to what was original on your vehicle. For instance If your jimmy was bought new in oregon and had nothing more than a pvc valve from factory, then that is all you would still have to have in the peoples republik of Kalifornia. They may do the sniffer as well but the specs would be for your year and smog devices, again not as tough as the newer vehicles.
Good luck on your move
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
bigjimzlll

I just heard/read that the threat of re smogging older vehicles is not going to happen. They increased the requirements of newer cars or something...

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
GMC_Aaron

Hey 70 Jimmy.

Glad to have you here in Cali.

I have attatched a post that I started a while back about this issue. It is very helpful and frightening at the same time. The legislators here in California, one in particular, Flores, are definitely pondering the thought of running us hot-rodders off the road. I have been keeping a close eye and ear on this issue, so if you want more info., just let me know.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=45993
GMC_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:11 AM   #9
70short/step

Your Jimmy when new....even in california didnt have smog on it. Other than a PVC valve and more than likely you are probablly running some sort of breather in your valve cover anyway.
I would put money on it that they will not go back to smogging 73 and older vehicles. They have "threatened" us for a long time about smogging them again. Its nothing new. Bringing your truck here should be a Fun thing. You will love it in Folsom and the area. Like to see pics of your truck if you have any.
70short/step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:18 AM   #10
GMC_Aaron

Yeah, just bring it!

If an issue like that ever came down to a vote, it would get shot down. You won't have any problems getting it registered. I got my truck from a fellow in Texas and had no problems at all. Classic cars/trucks are a big business and lifestyle, especially here in Cali. Don't worry about it. Just be cautious, because when issues like this come up, we need to be prepared to shove it back in their face, never taking anything for granted.
GMC_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:21 AM   #11
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

For sure bring it. If you decide to sell later it will be worth more here. People in Ca. pay big bucks for classics.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 AM   #12
racedvl
Account Suspended

While IL is by no means CA. my 69 had to go through the sniffer. The bad news, my truck was a 250. It now has a 355. I had to advance it and lean it to make it pass as a 250.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 AM   #13
ljbear

Prior to SB42 (the legislation that stopped smog checks on older vehicles) the inspections included both visual and emmisions. During the visual they look and make sure that all the original emmision components are in place, include PCV, smog pump, and air cleaner. If your vehicle looks like something isn't correct, like the big block, they are supposed to check the numbers on the motor. If the motor is newer, you are required to bring it up to that newer standard. In your case you said it is an older motor, so it shouldn't be a problem. I had headers on my truck and they required one of the crappy little heat tubes from the headers to the air cleaner housing.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #14
Javy
Account Suspended

YOU ARE SMOG EXEMPT HERE IN CA
But don't get too excited.
My registration fee is $135.00 for my 1969 truck !!
Isn't this too much ?
Javy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Isn't everything in California too much?!!LOL. Everytime I go there, my wallet hurts. Even the ATMs charge a buck more ($2.50) for a withdraw of my own money. Oh well, guess I gotta get used to it.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
Martin64

Quote:
Originally posted by Javy
YOU ARE SMOG EXEMPT HERE IN CA
But don't get too excited.
My registration fee is $135.00 for my 1969 truck !!
Isn't this too much ?
To re-register my '70 into my name, get a new pink slip and tags was only $90.... are you due a rebate check from the state? Did you have to pay the higher rates before they were repealed by Arnold?

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #17
sdredneck
The Crazy Kracka

I own 5 cars and 3 don't need smog thank God. My Grandfather owns a lot down in Imperial Valley and they don't have smog at all out there. I had heard that they were actually going to bring the smog exemption forward this year to 1974 and older. I kinda wish they did, all of the 73 Chevy pickups are taken and I hate to beat the crap out of a better body style like out 67-72's.

68 GMC LWB 396 BBC Camper Special
72 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with 406 SBC
73 Dodge Dart Sport with 340
sdredneck is offline   Reply With Quote